Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We are arriving in Australia during 2nd week of oct to finish our PR formalities, we are looking for a resonable temporary accomadation for two weeks in melbourne and sydney. Suggestions :confused:.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Kevinnicolas,

a few links to older threads that discuss the same question in detail:
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...lia/209746-initial-accomdation-need-help.html
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...alia/163224-where-live-sydney-short-time.html
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...lia/160929-accomodation-sydney-need-help.html
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...rbs-rental-accomodation-pakistani-family.html

For future reference: Try the forum search function in "advanced" mode to just search the titles; that usually gives you much better results!

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Monica,
Thanks a ton, it's cleared my mind a bit. Some tips about renting a home without a job would help.
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Kevinnicolas,

it's really difficult without a job. We had a hard time getting a flat when we arrived, the second flat hunt was much easier (we are moving again in two days). Some recommendations:

1.) Transfer enough money into your Australian bank account, submit a bank statement and offer to pay rent for three months in advance when you apply for a flat. They never take you up on it because legally they cannot ask for more than a month of rent (except if you offer more). Basically, they need to know if you can afford to pay the rent, so financial resources are important. For additional money/property - that you want to leave overseas for now - I'd recommend to get letters from your bank or notary that list your assets and how quickly you could access them.

2.) You'll need references who vouch that you pay your rent on time and take good care of the property. This was the main hurdle for us - we had the money but only knew a handful of people in Australia. Overseas contacts are almost worthless - few real estate agent bother to call overseas. Both you and your partner need at least one business and 1-3 personal references that are in Australia. So it would be a good idea to call friends/family/friends-of-your-second-cousin's-ex-wife etc. and ask if you can list them as references. You'll need their phone contacts and names. It is common practice in Australia, so nobody will blink an eye if you ask them even if they are not close associates. Our AirBnB hostess served as one of our references, my partner listed his future employer and one future work colleague - he was lucky to find a job within the first month - and I asked an Australian professor that I knew from a conference. It worked but we could have organized it a bit better by contacting friends of my parents or old school pals in advance.

Good luck,
Monika

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Kevinnicolas,

just to clarify: You don't actually need reference letters, just their full names and contact details. The real estate agents will call them and ask a few questions like "How long have you known <Kevinnicolas>?", "Have you ever been to <Kevinnicolas>'s apartment? Was it clean and generally taken care of?" or "Would you let <Kevinnicolas> stay at your own home and/or rent a place to them?"

The most important thing is that your references can be reached by phone. The professor I listed as a reference was really hard to catch during the day (teaching, meetings etc.), so I had to schedule a time with him when he would be available for the phone interview :rolleyes:.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Monica,
Thanks for taking time to answer my queries, I hve one more question, I have a nearly new fridge, washing machine and some household appliances, they are bought in muscat and dubai, will they work in oz? All appliances here are 250v. And if I'm shipping new tv, and DVD so I hve to pay tax
Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Kevin,

mains voltage in Australia is 230V 50Hz. You won't need a voltage converter but the plugs may be different in Australia - look on Wikipedia or google to see if they are compatible with the ones you have. Our European ones did not fit.

If you rent a full ship container (or half) shipping is cheap but it may take a few months to arrive. If you don't have that much stuff to ship the costs will not be worth it. It also depends if you plan to stay in Australia permanently or not. It may be worth shipping furniture etc. if you are relocating forever. For a 2-year stint in Australia it won't pay off to ship everything there and back again.

You can rent appliances (e.g. 10AUD/week for a good fridge) or buy used via Gumtree or second hand shops. Do the maths - for some people it pays off for others it doesn't. But I feel your pain; we just bought new appliances for the kitchen in Europe and miss our super-silent dish washer and great fridge. We decided to buy second hand because we don't know if we are staying.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Monica,
Thanks a ton, we are planning to move for a lil longer so, it's better to ship right, I'm just looking at some shipping agencies nw. What happens to new ones, if we buy? Do we pay tax. And I heard they don't allow u to ship wooden furniture is it true?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts