Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to secure a job in Paris (moving from New York). I'm also fortunate enough to be able ship my things on the company's coin.

I'm considering shipping my television and related items (video game systems mostly). I have a Samsung NTSC HDTV, XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii. I'm not particularly worried about DVD's as I run things through my laptop, and I could always get a region free multisystem dvd player if I needed to.

I really have no idea how difficult it would be to to get normal french broadcasts onto this tv. If I get over the air broadcasts, I assume I'll need some kind of tuner. Do they make ones that output in NTSC? Will I need a PAL/SECAM/NTSC (HDMI?, COMPONENT?) converter? What changes if I decide to get satellite or cable?

Then there's the question about region locked games. I don't think consoles bought in the US will play games bought in Europe - another thing to consider.

Will I have to pay duties on the TV if I ship it? I guess I'm trying to find out if it makes any sense at all to keep the tv. If I sell and rebuy, I'll be taking quite a loss, probably much more than the cost of a converter (though I'm not sure how much converters cost).

Any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
Not sure about the new digital tv's (HDTV) but the broadcast standard here in France is SECAM and most, if not all, televisions here are SECAM/PAL. If your television is NTSC, it won't do you any good here except for maybe playing back US-sourced DVDs on a US DVD player. I've never seen any sort of gadget to allow viewing SECAM broadcasts on an NTSC set - not for over air broadcast and not for cable or satellite. Remember, too, that you'll have to get a transformer to run your electronic equipment on the 240V current. (Not sure how electronics are affected by the change in cycles.)

I think your game consoles should work, though. I certainly have no problem playing US-sourced DVDs on our region-free DVD player to show on our PAL/SECAM television set. (Just back from the US, where I got some DVDs.) I've only ever bought one US DVD that wouldn't play on the tv here (allegedly due to the "parental control" setting) - but those you can just watch on your computer. The region coding is part of the player, not the television AFAIK.

You shouldn't have to pay any unusual taxes or duties on import of an NTSC set, unless it is less than a year old. You're normally allowed to import your personal belongings duty-free - but you'll have to pay VAT (19.6%) on anything you've owned less than a year at the date of entry. But ultimately you'll need to get a local television if you want to watch any local broadcasts, and your NTSC one will wind up as a doorstop.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev, great info here. I wouldn't need a transformer, alot of modern electronics here in the States can already take a 240V current. But between the Secam and VAT issues (unfortunately, the tv *is* less than a year old) I think I'm really better off selling it here and buying it again once I get there. Oh well, leaves more room to ship my other junk I guess :).

Not sure about the new digital tv's (HDTV) but the broadcast standard here in France is SECAM and most, if not all, televisions here are SECAM/PAL. If your television is NTSC, it won't do you any good here except for maybe playing back US-sourced DVDs on a US DVD player. I've never seen any sort of gadget to allow viewing SECAM broadcasts on an NTSC set - not for over air broadcast and not for cable or satellite. Remember, too, that you'll have to get a transformer to run your electronic equipment on the 240V current. (Not sure how electronics are affected by the change in cycles.)

You shouldn't have to pay any unusual taxes or duties on import of an NTSC set, unless it is less than a year old. You're normally allowed to import your personal belongings duty-free - but you'll have to pay VAT (19.6%) on anything you've owned less than a year at the date of entry. But ultimately you'll need to get a local television if you want to watch any local broadcasts, and your NTSC one will wind up as a doorstop.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.