Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

TEFL/CELTA saturation?

959 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  contentedscot 
#1 ·
Given the amount of companies that now offer training for the certificates and the apparently large amount of folk making enquiries about employment opportunities in this field, I'm wondering if this line of work has reached saturation point in many areas?

It strikes me as being a bit like the phalanx of Driving Instructor training companies that sprang up all over the UK recently (I was an ADI for 10 years, so paid close attention to what was happening) - a lot of people offering training for 'careers' in a market they were keen on saturating for their own ends, knowing full well that many would not be able to run a sustainable business model.

Is the supply of eager 'new' tutors exceeding demand, or does it vary from region to region? I'm guessing areas like Brittany will be somewhat oversupplied with Brits wishing to offer their services?

#2 ·
I strongly suspect you're right. Granted, there is quite a bit of regional difference in the demand for English training, too.

In the Paris area, much of the demand comes from the multi-national companies, who have to commit to a certain level of "continuing education" for their employees - and English is very popular for the executive levels, where folks are travelling to foreign conferences, meetings and other places where English is likely to be the "official" language.

Outside the market of business people who need English for their work (and who thus expect the training to be supplied by their employers), the demand may be pretty variable. At least among adults.
Cheers,
Bev

#3 · (Edited)
There are many avenues into English teaching - but very few offer enough money to live on. The juicy jobs are with universities and business schools, but for the latter business experience and qualifications would be really beneficial.

Apart from that there are on-line agencies, tutoring agencies and getting your own pupils. Here you're looking at a net 15 € per hour max.

I think very few Brits here offer private language tuition - it's mainly students working for 10-12 €

There are also of course Language schools but work can be irregular and seasonal. Although the pay is better the annual income might not be enough to live on.

As Bev said the market for adults is very limited unless you have a business entity here and can offer training to companies. Children and students are a different matter - but this is limited to early evening and weekend work. For me at the moment I still teach children and students 7 days a week but our work with adults has fallen by 90% this year due to policy changes and government incompetence - when the new regulations were brought in at the start of the year English tuition was not listed as an accepted subject for company employees. Things have progressed a little but it's still a nightmare for workers trying to obtain company-sponsored training, based on their rights.

After more than 6 years of teaching here I'm actually finding time to garden, hiking ....

#4 ·
For me at the moment I still teach children and students 7 days a week but our work with adults has fallen by 90% this year due to policy changes and government incompetence - when the new regulations were brought in at the start of the year English tuition was not listed as an accepted subject for company employees. Things have progressed a little but it's still a nightmare for workers trying to obtain company-sponsored training, based on their rights.
Is that 'le Compte personnel de formation' (CPF) ? (DIF as was).

If so, my previous employers must be struggling.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.