Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I suspect I'll be glued to this forum over the next couple weeks, despite the months of preparation I've already done for this application! Never seems enough, does it?

I'm American, applying to be with my British husband in England.

My first BIG question is probably stupid but anyway... Is it plausible to do the online application, biometrics, and pay for priority then not send my documents right away? I'm trying to get started, but my husband is waiting on one last piece of evidence before he sends me his documents - once you do biometrics/pay, is there a time limit you have to send in the documents? I will be paying for Priority as well, if that makes a difference.

Secondly, for accommodation, do we need pictures of the house and rooms? It's a two bedroom flat that only he lives in. He half rents, half owns. Are photos necessary if there isn't any chance of overcrowding? We have mortgage statements, letter from landlord, proof of purchase and rent, do we need a council tax/utilities bill as well? If he has one, I'll throw it in, but if not do I need to panic?

Thirdly, do I need his birth certificate? We got every non-blank page of his passport notarised - surely that's enough to prove birth and citizenship? I'm sending mine.

I know a lot of this is TEDIOUS and also "more is better", but if it's not readily available, I want to see if it's necessary.

Oh god. I think that's all for now. I swear I have been researching for MONTHS and still feel terrified!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Okay I suspect I'll be glued to this forum over the next couple weeks, despite the months of preparation I've already done for this application! Never seems enough, does it?

I'm American, applying to be with my British husband in England.

My first BIG question is probably stupid but anyway... Is it plausible to do the online application, biometrics, and pay for priority then not send my documents right away? I'm trying to get started, but my husband is waiting on one last piece of evidence before he sends me his documents - once you do biometrics/pay, is there a time limit you have to send in the documents? I will be paying for Priority as well, if that makes a difference.
It's something like two months. There is little point in delaying sending in the documents, and as long as they back up the financial details in your application, there is no reason for waiting for the latest document. For example, if the income you rely on is April to October, there is no need to wait for November payslip.

Secondly, for accommodation, do we need pictures of the house and rooms? It's a two bedroom flat that only he lives in. He half rents, half owns. Are photos necessary if there isn't any chance of overcrowding? We have mortgage statements, letter from landlord, proof of purchase and rent, do we need a council tax/utilities bill as well? If he has one, I'll throw it in, but if not do I need to panic?
Photos aren't needed but a floor plan may be useful. Recent bills proving occupation should be attached.

Thirdly, do I need his birth certificate? We got every non-blank page of his passport notarised - surely that's enough to prove birth and citizenship? I'm sending mine.
Not needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thank you for the reply! I'm not delaying the documents for no reason - It's really just that he has ALL of the documents. In England. So he has to send them to me still. I don't physically have them. He's waiting on his landlord's letter. But it won't take 2 months to get them so I will go ahead and start the process!

And I'll make sure he grabs a recent bill then! Thank you again. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as I know, you can't split the biometrics and submitting documents... it's done on the same day... plus there is no benefit to doing it anyway as biometrics only takes 2 minutes.

You can pay online when you do the application on there then book the biometrics for whenever you have the documents. I waited about 3 weeks to do mine, mainly because we need one more document and there was a Chinese week long holiday going on...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, you can't split the biometrics and submitting documents... it's done on the same day... plus there is no benefit to doing it anyway as biometrics only takes 2 minutes.

You can pay online when you do the application on there then book the biometrics for whenever you have the documents. I waited about 3 weeks to do mine, mainly because we need one more document and there was a Chinese week long holiday going on...
That's odd - do you think it could be different when applying in the US? I read elsewhere, someone sent their documents independently through UPS. When I did my Student Visa, I didn't send anything away at my biometrics appointment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I have another tedious question if anyone reads this -

For the VAF4A appendix 2, do I have to print the entire 13 pages and submit those even if half of it is blank? My information is only required up to page 7, not including the very last box (Category A). But I know these processes are meticulous so I thought I'd ask...

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
That's odd - do you think it could be different when applying in the US? I read elsewhere, someone sent their documents independently through UPS. When I did my Student Visa, I didn't send anything away at my biometrics appointment.
In US, you send the documents yourself to Sheffield, UK, after the biometrics. In China and many other countries, you hand over at the same time as your biometric appointment.

For the VAF4A appendix 2, do I have to print the entire 13 pages and submit those even if half of it is blank? My information is only required up to page 7, not including the very last box (Category A). But I know these processes are meticulous so I thought I'd ask.
Yes you have to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I applied for a spousal visa in July 2011 from the states. Once I had my biometrics done I had to send everything, including the biometrics page, within two weeks from the biometric date. So there was, back then, a two week deadline for the application from the biometrics appointment. In case that information helps!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
That's very old information and things have changed. I think the online application data is automatically deleted after 2 months if you don't send in supporting documents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I applied for a spousal visa in July 2011 from the states. Once I had my biometrics done I had to send everything, including the biometrics page, within two weeks from the biometric date. So there was, back then, a two week deadline for the application from the biometrics appointment. In case that information helps!
Thank you, that's good to know! I actually did the online bit, made appointment, and paid yesterday so that motivated husband to send documents ASAP. :D

OOPS just saw Joppa's reply. Either way! The sooner the better. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Don't forget to arrange return shipping

Thank you, that's good to know! I actually did the online bit, made appointment, and paid yesterday so that motivated husband to send documents ASAP. :D

OOPS just saw Joppa's reply. Either way! The sooner the better. Thanks guys!
The quickest way to get your application packet to/from UKBA is to set up an online account with your choice of company - FedEx, DHL, etc. It is quite simple - you enter a debit or credit card for the charges and then receive an account number. You then enter this on the waybills and check the box for charges to be paid by you - as sender TO Sheffield, and then paid by you as receiver FROM Sheffield.

You will need to complete the second waybill and attach to a similar package, fold and include with your application. Just reverse the same info and show the packet as being sent from Sheffield to you on the second waybill. This also will give you the tracking numbers so you can check it online in both directions, and you will be able to know when to be home and available for the return delivery.

Everyone's situation is different, but just as an example, my packet to Sheffield weighed about 2lb and the return weighed just under 1lb. You don't want to send so much material that your packet weighs a ton!

Just keep reading here and asking questions, and it eventually all falls into place. The advice and experience available here are invaluable. Good luck! :fingerscrossed:

Laurel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh wow, Laurel, that information is SO welcome and needed! Thank you so much! I just need to figure out which service to use and how much it'll cost. Does Sheffield sign on delivery?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Oh wow, Laurel, that information is SO welcome and needed! Thank you so much! I just need to figure out which service to use and how much it'll cost. Does Sheffield sign on delivery?
:) You're welcome. Yes, someone does sign for your packet if you check the box requesting a signature. Having the tracking numbers is the biggest advantage as you can watch it's journey going and coming. That helps quite a bit with the anxious waiting.

I used FedEx and while it wasn't cheap, I was happy to find out it wasn't quite as bad as I was afraid of. I didn't check the price of the return, but my shipping it out cost under $80. There was a poster here who had a nightmare with FedEx and a delayed delivery, but I didn't have any problems. I think it is unusual for them to drop the ball.

I'll look forward to seeing your timeline. :)

Reactions: ubernell

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:) You're welcome. Yes, someone does sign for your packet if you check the box requesting a signature. Having the tracking numbers is the biggest advantage as you can watch it's journey going and coming. That helps quite a bit with the anxious waiting.

I used FedEx and while it wasn't cheap, I was happy to find out it wasn't quite as bad as I was afraid of. I didn't check the price of the return, but my shipping it out cost under $80. There was a poster here who had a nightmare with FedEx and a delayed delivery, but I didn't have any problems. I think it is unusual for them to drop the ball.

I'll look forward to seeing your timeline. :)
Water Dragon, If you're still around, I have one last quick question! What type of return envelope do we include? Will it be one of those flimsy plastic types you can fold? I feel totally thick...

(PS I lived in Edinburgh for 5 years. Scotland is my favourite place in the world!)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Water Dragon, If you're still around, I have one last quick question! What type of return envelope do we include? Will it be one of those flimsy plastic types you can fold? I feel totally thick...

(PS I lived in Edinburgh for 5 years. Scotland is my favourite place in the world!)
I attached the return waybill in the stick-on transparent holder to a similar plastic envelope "pak" like I used to send my packet. It is light-weight and easy to fold to include.

:) Don't ever worry about asking questions. With this process, even the simplest things seem complicated.

I'm still adjusting to all the new things here, but Scotland is beautiful and I'm greatly looking forward to exploring.

Will wait to hear good news from you! :fingerscrossed:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.