Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbour and her colleagues at the school where they work are rehearsing a play in English to perform for other local schools. She has asked me to direct them to correct their pronunciation. The main problem we are having is their pronunciation of the letter V. Have any teachers out there any tips I can use to help them with this.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
A 'V' is a voiced a 'F'. You hold your mouth in the exact same position for both sounds and the only difference is that for a 'V' you make your voicebox vibrate. Have them touch their voicebox so they can feel the difference.

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
There's no secret; it's just making them aware of what their mouths are doing. The difference is in the position of lips and teeth, I tell my students that (in an exaggerated form) the teeth are over the bottom lip in a "V" sound. The lips have to meet in the "B" sound. They should practice sentences like
It's a Very Big dog
we have to Bury the eVidence
His moBile ViBrates when there's a call

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

I will get them working on it. They are going to perform Sleeping Beauty, a version they have written themselves, and will be "judged" by their fellow teachers from the other schools so they want to be perfect!

·
Registered
473 Posts
A 'V' is a voiced a 'F'. You hold your mouth in the exact same position for both sounds and the only difference is that for a 'V' you make your voicebox vibrate. Have them touch their voicebox so they can feel the difference.

So, it's "Falenthia", not Balenthia? (Valencia)

See, this is why Portuguese makes more sense than Spanish. :confused:

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
So, it's "Falenthia", not Balenthia? (Valencia)

See, this is why Portuguese makes more sense than Spanish. :confused:
No!
As kalohii says it's voiced, which means it vibrates, which means you can feel your throat vibrating.
The position of lips and teeth are similar to an "f", but it's voiced.
You don't need to learn this anyway sirtravelalot because it's talking about helping Spanish people pronounce the English "v" sound :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
No!
As kalohii says it's voiced, which means it vibrates, which means you can feel your throat vibrating.
The position of lips and teeth are similar to an "f", but it's voiced.
You don't need to learn this anyway sirtravelalot because it's talking about helping Spanish people pronounce the English "v" sound :)

Ah ok! Thanks! That should teach me not to read things when I'm tired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts