Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a browse around a few forums looking for an answer but I get the feeling this is the most 'mature' forum so hopefully you can help.

I'm thinking of becoming an English teacher, I have plenty of experience of primary education in the UK but no sort of TEFL/CELTA/TESOL certificate.

Do you think I could just chance it and apply for a job? I've got plenty of classroom experience but I'm not so hot on English teaching methodology.

Also, after shopping around I've decided that if I have to do a TEFL course I'd go with TEFL Iberia - http://www.tefl-iberia.com/ - does anybody have any experience with them?

All help / comments appreciated :)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
From what I know, your best chances for teaching english would be TEFL, altho you'll be up against fierce competition in the current economic climate. If you're a fully trained UK teacher then you may stand a chance of being employed in an international school (see About Us | Nabss). Spanish state schools are a "no-no" from what I understand, especially if you're not totally fluent/bilingual in speaking and reading at all levels in Spanish. But we have a few teachers on the forum who may offer better advise than I have

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
Hi Davy85,
Glad to see you've found the teaching English thread.
I would say your best bet would be to try to get a job in a British Primary/ secondary school here, more or less like Jojo has suggested. If it's a good, well established school it should be better paid and more secure than TEFL teaching, and it draws on your experience. But, you have to make sure that the school is professional and recognised.

As far as TEFL_ Iberia goes - it may be very professional and well organised, but the certificate it gives is not the Trinity or even better recognised CELTA. It says it is an equivelent, but according to them, not the schools who might be employing you. If you're thinking of getting a TEFL qualification, I'd get a world recognised, guaranteed quality one like the CELTA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts