Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who wants to teach English here, he has over 20 years experience, he wants to work in the Sharjah area, what sort of salary should he be looking at, he has had a verbal offer but its way below UK pay scale, anyone out there can offer some advice, please. !

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
What is his passport? And then, what is his native country?

A western proper teacher will get usually from 8k to 12k. 8k is the very low rung, usually no experience or teaching at an 'international' school where they dont tend to get alot of western based teachers to teach there so if they can, they will pay a bit more then they will the other nationalities.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a joke !!!!

What is his passport? And then, what is his native country?

A western proper teacher will get usually from 8k to 12k. 8k is the very low rung, usually no experience or teaching at an 'international' school where they dont tend to get alot of western based teachers to teach there so if they can, they will pay a bit more then they will the other nationalities.
He is English, has taught there for a long time, but that sort of figure is not even close. I am not a teacher but I would not get out of bed for that as a professional !!!!!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I agree.... but :( they come in droves for the 10k salaries with
apartment provided. So they dont tend to have to pay more.

That said, I do have one friend who is a head professor of science at one of the schools and is more like 16k, has his own villa instead of in the standard provided housing, and his school fees are paid for his child. It took him a number of years to get to that point though even though he came over as a mid thirties expat who had been teaching a long time.

He can try to get them to come up, but reality is that they just dont have to so dont tend to come up THAT much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats why teaching pays so little

I agree.... but :( they come in droves for the 10k salaries with
apartment provided. So they dont tend to have to pay more.

That said, I do have one friend who is a head professor of science at one of the schools and is more like 16k, has his own villa instead of in the standard provided housing, and his school fees are paid for his child. It took him a number of years to get to that point though even though he came over as a mid thirties expat who had been teaching a long time.

He can try to get them to come up, but reality is that they just dont have to so dont tend to come up THAT much.
Oh yes I can well believe there are no shortages of applicants, hence pay will always be low, its how this place was/is built:mad:. Its also why so many come here thinking because its tax free that its such a good deal and then 12 months later leave when they realise other places can offer far more depending on what you want. I have spoken to my friend and there is simply no way he is coming to work in this enviroment for less than a package starting at 15k with add on's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree Santa and jynx. Teacher pay in UAE is fairly poor in most cases from what I've read. I'm coming over with a 15K package with accom, health insurance, flights and relocation allowance. Despite this, it is still a considerable drop from AUS salary. The bonus for us is the reduced cost of living and the fact that we'll both be able to work on similar packages as tuition for children is paid for. It all depends on the individual circumstance and if what people will get here is better than what they're getting back home. So many variables.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok this may sound dumb, but are you guys quoting pounds or dirhams? And salary per year or per month??

I've been offered a primary teaching position in Sharjah at 8,000 dirham/month, which works out to £16,873 a year. So seems ok judging by previous posts?? Although definitely lower than what I was getting in the UK or Canada.

There is the usual package: housing (shared), medical, flights...

Apparently 8K (AED) is the salary they give to all their teachers, regardless of experience. And there hasn't been a salary increase since the school's opening in 2007.

Thoughts please!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its what works For You

Ok this may sound dumb, but are you guys quoting pounds or dirhams? And salary per year or per month??

I've been offered a primary teaching position in Sharjah at 8,000 dirham/month, which works out to £16,873 a year. So seems ok judging by previous posts?? Although definitely lower than what I was getting in the UK or Canada.

There is the usual package: housing (shared), medical, flights...

Apparently 8K (AED) is the salary they give to all their teachers, regardless of experience. And there hasn't been a salary increase since the school's opening in 2007.

Thoughts please!

It really comes down to what works for you, yes all in AED and package normally covers housing/ med insurance and childs place in school. the bottom line is, schooling in the UAE is massive buisness, its mostly about profit, pay as low as possible, charge a high fee, whats in the middle is for the investors. Abu Dhabi has invested 10's of millions in recent years and has tried to attract the best in many aspects of education, pay is higher but at the end of the day it really comes down to what you want to do. Like I say its a big industry here, and I do not mean that offensively to any hard working teachers here, and there are a lot of them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Agreed... All in AUD. my package works out to around $46K AUD (pa)tax free which is still around 20K less than what I get here but when factoring in the whole package and take away aus child are fees... It's a good deal for us. Not great ... But doable.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts

Thoughts please!
And I am sure they are increasing their fees by the max allowed amount citing "increased costs"

·
Registered
61 Posts
OfftoSharjah said:
Agreed... All in AUD. my package works out to around $46K AUD (pa)tax free which is still around 20K less than what I get here but when factoring in the whole package and take away aus child are fees... It's a good deal for us. Not great ... But doable.
My bad... I meant to say "...All in AED"!!! Sorry!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Scholars International Academy. Has anyone heard much about this school? I haven't confirmed the position yet, as I'm hesitant about the pay and mixed reviews online, but what if nothing else comes up? Would you take it??

·
Registered
61 Posts
If everything it offered was going to be better than what I had now and if I could honestly say that it was worth taking myself out of my comfort zone (and the company of my friends and family), then yes... I would take it. If it meant hat if be going on a whole new big adventure and I didn't mind that it wasn't going to make me rich or benefit me that much financially, again yes! It all depends on everyone's personal circumstances. When we can to the decision, it was very hard to committ. In the end we just said "4$;: it , why not?!" but what Is the right decision for one person may not be for the next.

I know this may not be helping much but seriously, weigh up all the pros and cons and take it from there. You'll make the right decision for you. Most schools have probably already filled their positions but you never know... An acquaintance told me he got offered a job as late as mid July due to people resigning or changing their minds and pulling out. I'd go for it if it was just a hesitation about the school itself and then use it as a stepping stone and a resume builder (depending on your previous experience of course.

·
Banned
423 Posts
^^^^^^^

At Juicy.

What he said.

Sharjah isn't that bad, I liked it in a lot of ways (traffic is **** though), get yourself a member of Sharjah Wanderers (like all your other teacher mates will be), take a bikini, enjoy the pool, have a few beers and meet loads of expats.

Then when that gets boring, you have Ajman up the road (cheap and cheerful) and Dubai down the road (expensive and, erm, interesting).

Just do it honey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks OfftoSharjah. Can I ask what type of teaching position are you in? Primary/secondary? HOD? How many years of experience do you have?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah no prob... I've been teaching for 12 years, I will be teaching secondary and will have year level leader role. My wife is a primary teacher with same experience on a similar package. What about you, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I technically only have 1 year of full-time teaching, and the rest supply or working abroad, but have been in the supply world since 2005, when I graduated. There are just too many teachers in Canada and not enough positions! My last stint was 2 years in the UK, where I did my 1 year of 'proper' teaching.

12 years eh? Guess that would explain why your employment package seems like such a better deal than mine! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I guess. Unfortunately generally the international schools won't consider hiring teachers with little experience. Do they not realise that we've all got to start somewhere? As I said in an earlier post, use it as a stepping stone... We do all have to start somewhere. When I first started, I was at an obscure little community school but bid my time and eventually gained enough experience to make it to the largest and one of the most prestigious schools in the state. Why would I leave it and take a huge pay cut? The experience and an overall financial gain as both of us will be working. If you put all things aside and decide to go ahead with it, just remember that at the end of the day, you can't buy an experience like the one you're about to start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a friend who wants to teach English here, he has over 20 years experience, he wants to work in the Sharjah area, what sort of salary should he be looking at, he has had a verbal offer but its way below UK pay scale, anyone out there can offer some advice, please. !
My wife is a british trained teacher who teaches Art and Design at Primay ( but she is secondary qualified) and has 10 years of experience, since she is on my visa, she gets 12000 per month. But if she was on her own visa, she would also get housing allowance of 5000 aed per month or 1 bed flat in discovery gardens.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts