Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an American Muslim woman married to an Egyptian man. We live in the US, but would like to spend some time in Egypt. I would like to get a job teaching, I have a BA in English, but I do not have a teachers license. Every vacancy I see, understandably requires 2 years experience and a license. Does any one have any suggestions or advice on the accuracy of this and if it will be possible to get a teaching job without the license? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I dont think any of the international schools would consider you - you would have to go for a language school which is basically a fee paying Egypian school who may.
salary would be much lower of course

Sent using ExpatForum App

·
Registered
679 Posts
I dont think any of the international schools would consider you - you would have to go for a language school which is basically a fee paying Egypian school who may.
salary would be much lower of course

That is about the nuts and bolts of it. You will earn somewhere between 3,500 and 4000 LE (EGP) per month. That about 600 to 800 US $. The young girls I know that has these jobs tend to club together to rent apartments.:ranger:

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is no such thing as a teaching license here, so you shouldn’t have a problem getting a job at one of the many “American” schools. Most schools just require a BS or BA and native fluency to teach English. I would recommend doing some tutoring before you start your job search, so you have some experience to claim.

I have a B.S. in English, just finished my first year teaching, and have been offered several positions for this fall.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Each state in the US has a certification process. This is similar to other countries' licensing.

If you want to "teach" without having the pedagogy behind you, you can find a job. I would suggest using your maiden name on your CV so you can get a bit more pay. There are some schools that have the word "international" in them that will hire you without the proper qualifications. You can go through a search firm to help you get an expat package.

I wonder why you want to go when things are so....unsettled. If you have children, why would you want to compromise their education?

Best of luck. There are many, many threads about uncertified/unqualified people wanting to teach here, so just search the forum for a lot of good information for you.

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
I often wonder why parents who pay good money to schools do not ask about the teaching qualifications of the staff. I had a friend who taught English here.. was she a teacher\/ no, did she have a masters? No.. her only qualification was that she was a native English speaker.
My children went to public school in the U.K and there is no way I would have paid over money to have them taught by someone who was qualified by speaking English.

It really is an insult to hard working qualified teachers that someone can come along and teach because it's the only option left open to them in a foreign country.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:confused2:I really thought I could come here and get sound FRIENDLY advice. I don't know why people are immediately put on the defense and also ask WHY I would want to move to Egypt. I don't see how me wanting to teach is insulting to qualifies teachers...I would like to point out that in the US, only state public schools require a teachers license, private schools do not. I want to teach English because I enjoy it, not because it is my last hope! I am a non-traditional student who just finished her BA in English, I do not have my teaching license....(before someone says "then why don't you get your license"), merely on circumstantial reasons. It is a long complicated story, to which I do not owe anyone an explanation. Thank you to those who give thoughtful advice, and to the ones who wanted to attack me and judge me, Shame on you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no such thing as a teaching license here, so you shouldn’t have a problem getting a job at one of the many “American” schools. Most schools just require a BS or BA and native fluency to teach English. I would recommend doing some tutoring before you start your job search, so you have some experience to claim.

I have a B.S. in English, just finished my first year teaching, and have been offered several positions for this fall.
But when I look online at the schools, they all want someone who has a license from their own country. I keep hearing your story from people, but my research proves otherwise. Maybe I should just apply and see what happens. Thank you for your friendly advice from one American to another!

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
:confused2:I really thought I could come here and get sound FRIENDLY advice. I don't know why people are immediately put on the defense and also ask WHY I would want to move to Egypt. I don't see how me wanting to teach is insulting to qualifies teachers...I would like to point out that in the US, only state public schools require a teachers license, private schools do not. I want to teach English because I enjoy it, not because it is my last hope! I am a non-traditional student who just finished her BA in English, I do not have my teaching license....(before someone says "then why don't you get your license"), merely on circumstantial reasons. It is a long complicated story, to which I do not owe anyone an explanation. Thank you to those who give thoughtful advice, and to the ones who wanted to attack me and judge me, Shame on you!
No you don't own anyone an explanation

Any thread opens up debate...
I asked why parents here hand over money for their children to be taught by unqualifed teachers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't realize I was posting anything debatable. I am merely asking because I hear from so many people that foreign schools want Native English speakers. But my research proves otherwise; what I have found is that every single school I visit will only accept applications from those who have previous experience and with license from their own country. I am not trying to get around something that is important, like having a license, but like I said, I have my BA in English, which does not immediately qualify me, but it is something that I am passionate about. I am not talking about teaching English grammar or ESL, but literature and composition. I would also like to point out that just because someone has experience and their teacher's license, this does not necessarily qualify them as a qualified teacher, trust me, our American schools are full of non-effective teachers. Shame on our system for allowing this to happen. I was only merely asking what the real story is on qualifications, compared to what I was being told and what my research is providing me.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
I didn't realize I was posting anything debatable. I am merely asking because I hear from so many people that foreign schools want Native English speakers. But my research proves otherwise; what I have found is that every single school I visit will only accept applications from those who have previous experience and with license from their own country. I am not trying to get around something that is important, like having a license, but like I said, I have my BA in English, which does not immediately qualify me, but it is something that I am passionate about. I am not talking about teaching English grammar or ESL, but literature and composition. I would also like to point out that just because someone has experience and their teacher's license, this does not necessarily qualify them as a qualified teacher, trust me, our American schools are full of non-effective teachers. Shame on our system for allowing this to happen. I was only merely asking what the real story is on qualifications, compared to what I was being told and what my research is providing me.

I did tell you that I have a friend who taught here without qualifications.. regardless what the school websites tell you.

Forums always open up a debate.. we even have an :focus: smiley for the simple reason that threads go here there and everywhere.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you speak English and have a pulse you can get a job. However, you won't have a contract and you won't have a work permit, which means you'll be wide open to being victimized by the unscrupulous employer that is willing to hire you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
To be honest it does annoy me as a qualified teacher continuously reading "I'll teach english or I want to be a teacher " could I just say "oh im in another country I'll be a doctor or maybe an engineer". People see teaching as an easy profession, just walk in and teach!! To be a good teacher you need to understand child psychology and development stages, be able organise plan and resource at least 8/9 lessons a day effectively, catering for each individuals abilities and learning styles, have good class management,I could go on. I'm sure you could find "work" in a language school but not in any of the proper international schools. I can't imagine any of the high fee international schools hiring unqualified inexperienced teachers but maybe I'm wrong, if so they aren't the type of school I would want to work in or reccomend to a parent. Same as every profession to get the best quality of work the person needs to be trained and have experience.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My daughter has B.Ed and is finding it hard to get a job in the UK. And she is fully qualified

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a B.A. in English, live in Egypt, and wouldn't consider walking into a classroom and teaching.

Why? BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW.

Knowing about a subject is one thing, knowing how to teach it to others is something entirely different.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If all you want is information, then please take the initiative to read through the previous threads on this same subject.

Perhaps we are just weary of having people wan us to provide all the information on demand as opposed to the inquirer actually doing to research themselves.

I'm sorry if you took my comments in a negative way, but I had a colleague in your same situation who came to Cairo last fall and she has been miserable and her husband had the shock of his life when he was not paid on a scale comparable to his salary in the US.

As I said before, best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your search for a teaching job at a school continues to be difficult, how about if you consider being an English instructor focusing on teaching proper pronounciation and grammer, like with Berlitz or Aseb? This might also give you some experience to add to your resume.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh there's also the Cairo Englis Club, where you set up a program catered to the group/individual you're tutoring. As far as I know, you'll be qualified w/ur teaching degree, inshaAllah.. best of luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a BA and a MPH in health education and school admin and I am a RN --I taught as a IB language instructor for 2 languages and worked as an school administrator for curriculum before making a switch to nursing since I really love public health but I kept my certification up in everything and I still couldn't find a job in Egypt for over a year
Yes..there were schools that went all the way to 5,000 a month..even MSA went to 6,000 to be a dean's admin assistant as well as a teacher of intro english for incoming freshman..and I didn't take the jobs because I really didn't want them due to the conditions of the schools and what I was going to have to do ---such as teach every subject on the list at one school for 5,000 pounds a month then there were distance issues on a few..so I am looking into something else now with a hospital --even with all that I was never even contacted by a nice school in Egypt --the only job offers I received for teaching were in UAE and Qatar because my resume/app was with a firm for recruitment---that defeated the purpose of me being in Egypt while my husband is here teaching as well at a university in new cairo so I stayed here
anyhow--it will be difficult but start small and prove yourself..then ask for more is how I would go about it--it would be something to do until you found something nice. Take your resume by the schools so they can see you in person ..do not email anything--good luck

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a BA and a MPH in health education and school admin and I am a RN --I taught as a IB language instructor for 2 languages and worked as an school administrator for curriculum before making a switch to nursing since I really love public health but I kept my certification up in everything and I still couldn't find a job in Egypt for over a year
Yes..there were schools that went all the way to 5,000 a month..even MSA went to 6,000 to be a dean's admin assistant as well as a teacher of intro english for incoming freshman..and I didn't take the jobs because I really didn't want them due to the conditions of the schools and what I was going to have to do ---such as teach every subject on the list at one school for 5,000 pounds a month then there were distance issues on a few..so I am looking into something else now with a hospital --even with all that I was never even contacted by a nice school in Egypt --the only job offers I received for teaching were in UAE and Qatar because my resume/app was with a firm for recruitment---that defeated the purpose of me being in Egypt while my husband is here teaching as well at a university in new cairo so I stayed here
anyhow--it will be difficult but start small and prove yourself..then ask for more is how I would go about it--it would be something to do until you found something nice. Take your resume by the schools so they can see you in person ..do not email anything--good luck
Yup, i agree that this would be the best appoach. Just dont convert the Egyptian pound salary to US$.:D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts