Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
Ive been reading up on your comments. They are very informative. But I just wanted to know some other things -
I've been offered a job with accommodation and transport the package is 3890/- per month. could anyone tell me whats the basic expanses related to groceries and cooking and basic amenities for the house?
Is this salary enough to survive on for one person and can I save some part of it? :fingerscrossed::)

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
hi everyone,
Ive been reading up on your comments. They are very informative. But I just wanted to know some other things -
I've been offered a job with accommodation and transport the package is 3890/- per month. could anyone tell me whats the basic expanses related to groceries and cooking and basic amenities for the house?
Is this salary enough to survive on for one person and can I save some part of it? :fingerscrossed::)
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
That is a fairly low salary - not going to be easy to save too much or have fun on that amount of money.
Basic groceries are fairly cheap here - especially if you buy basics like rice, atta etc. in bulk.
Plenty of local and imported fruit, vegetables and meat to choose from at very reasonable prices (compared with European prices).
It is just a bit sad that with a teachers qualifications and responsibilities - you will be earning about the same as a Dubai taxi driver.
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve!
Thanks for replying. I've heard that this salary is really low. Can you give me a number for basic expenses coz i'll be staying in Sharjah?
I also thought that once im there i can apply to a better school with a better salary. Do you think that might work?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi Steve!
Thanks for replying. I've heard that this salary is really low. Can you give me a number for basic expenses coz i'll be staying in Sharjah?
I also thought that once im there i can apply to a better school with a better salary. Do you think that might work?
Hi,
The problem with working in the UAE is that your presence in the country is based on the visa supplied by your employer.
It is not easy to chop and change jobs here - unlike other countries.
You are far better finding a job with an acceptable salary before making the move.
If you look on the "sticky" section at top of the forum, or do a specific search - you will find plenty of posts that discuss costs of living in Dubai and Sharjah.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is the salary amount you quoted in AED? 3890AED is extremely low for a teacher salary. Some LSAs and TAs are earning almost twice that. I think you will find it very difficult to manage on that salary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the salary amount you quoted in AED? 3890AED is extremely low for a teacher salary. Some LSAs and TAs are earning almost twice that. I think you will find it very difficult to manage on that salary.
Hi Emaroyds!
yeah its in aed. But im told this is the basic starting salart. A asian and an european package being in place for teachers. So im really in a fix now, im in a fix now coz when i convert this into my currency it is double of what im getting then again i also have to think about expwnses in dubai aswell.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I didn't mean to seem negative about your offer. Everything is relative! There is a vast range of teaching salaries in Dubai, yours is on the lower end, but if you live carefully within these means you should be fine, especially if the offer doubles your current home salary. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts