Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My girlfriend (junior school teacher) is applying for jobs at various Canadian International Schools, (we currently live in the UK) but we need advice on our visa situation. We are not married so does this affect my chances of moving with her if I am simply her boyfriend and what Visa options are open for us? We have been living together for the past year or so.

Another complication is that I am disabled (paraplegic) and require a monthly prescription for daily living. I have several pensions from my time in the military so money is not an issue but was wondering if I would be entitled to these free or whether I would have to pay for these myself. Don't get me wrong, I am not after charity - i just do not know what my options are (these are free to me in the UK, and wondered if the same would apply in Canada). I would require no money from the state because of my pensions.

We are both new to this kind of thing so any help or advice would be really appreciated.
Many thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hi guys,

My girlfriend (junior school teacher) is applying for jobs at various Canadian International Schools, (we currently live in the UK) but we need advice on our visa situation. We are not married so does this affect my chances of moving with her if I am simply her boyfriend and what Visa options are open for us? We have been living together for the past year or so.

If you have been living common-law for a year or more and have evidence of this then, for immigration purposes, Canada considers this the same as marriage. There are, basically, only two ways to enter Canada and it appears to me the only one open to you is if your girlfriend obtains pre-arranged employment. This requires an employer to apply to the Government for permission to hire her (called a LMO) and would grant her a two-year working permit (TWP).

Another complication is that I am disabled (paraplegic) and require a monthly prescription for daily living. I have several pensions from my time in the military so money is not an issue but was wondering if I would be entitled to these free or whether I would have to pay for these myself. Don't get me wrong, I am not after charity - i just do not know what my options are (these are free to me in the UK, and wondered if the same would apply in Canada). I would require no money from the state because of my pensions.

Drug costs are not covered by the Government in Canada so you are on your own in that regard. I do think you may encounter a problem with the required medical. The rule of thumb seems to be that if your care in Canada is going to exceed $5,000 per year, now or in the future, then you could be considered inadmissable.

We are both new to this kind of thing so any help or advice would be really appreciated.
Many thanks,
Rob
Hello and welcome to the site. As perhaps you know medical care in Canada is a Provincial jurisdiction, consequently it could vary depending on where you settle, although not dramatically so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Auld Yin for your reply.

I had a suspicion that my disability could be an issue - I wouldn't mind but I became paraplegic after a fall when at St Johns in Newfoundland (when I was in the British Air force) - so they owe me!! heehee...im kidding of course.

Do you know of the best place to find more information on this as I would love to return to Canada - I always said that I would return one day, its a beautiful country.
Thanks,
Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.