Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an English qualified teacher with 10 years experience of teaching in a primary school which has a high percentage of pupils with special educational needs, and have a first class degree in education from Durham university. I would be very grateful if anybody could advise me if this qualification and experience would enable me to get a visa to teach in California- if so, any tips in how to go about it would be wonderful!

·
Administrator
51,953 Posts
Teacher qualification in the US goes by State. You can start here for what California requires for a teaching certificate: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

But it's very doubtful you would be able to get a visa for any job in the public educational system in California. They're in the midst of a budget crisis and most school districts are laying off teachers in droves (including special education teachers).

You could try the private schools, which may or may not require you to have California teaching qualifications. But sponsoring a work visa is an expensive proposition for a business and not something just any employer can manage.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts