Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have recently been considering moving to Spain (Valencia is a clear favourite) with the hope of teaching English. I am in the early stages of my research, but just wondered whether anyone could tell me what the "typical" teaching hours are in Spain? And what kind of pay I should expect?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Administrator
36,089 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have recently been considering moving to Spain (Valencia is a clear favourite) with the hope of teaching English. I am in the early stages of my research, but just wondered whether anyone could tell me what the "typical" teaching hours are in Spain? And what kind of pay I should expect?

:welcome:

pay will vary greatly depending on whether you're planning on being in the city or in the comunidad, generally... you'll earn more in the city - & also if you're working for an academy or self-employed

I used to teach in an academy & found that most of my teaching hours were before 10am - for adults fitting in a class before work - & between 5pm & 10pm for children after school & adults after they finished work for the day at about 8pm

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
Hi everyone,

It depends,,,
Do you have a CELTA or Trinity or PGCE teaching qualification? What kind of teaching do you want to do? (children, adults, in a school, academy, companies...)
You will probably be looking at academy work which is usally concentrated into the afternoons from about 16:30 with kids and going on to 20:00/ 21:00/ 22:00 depending. If you only get that you'll be lucky as you could get a couple of hours at lunch time and maybe something in the morning and that really chops up your day.
You're probably looking at approx 1000€ take home for 25 - 30 hours contact time which is plenty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

pay will vary greatly depending on whether you're planning on being in the city or in the comunidad, generally... you'll earn more in the city - & also if you're working for an academy or self-employed

I used to teach in an academy & found that most of my teaching hours were before 10am - for adults fitting in a class before work - & between 5pm & 10pm for children after school & adults after they finished work for the day at about 8pm

Thanks for replying :) im hoping to work in the city. If you don't mind me asking how did you find the work/life balance whilst working early mornings and evenings? I would be moving with my partner and I'm not sure on what his hours would be like but I think mostly during the day

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
It depends,,,
Do you have a CELTA or Trinity or PGCE teaching qualification? What kind of teaching do you want to do? (children, adults, in a school, academy, companies...)
You will probably be looking at academy work which is usally concentrated into the afternoons from about 16:30 with kids and going on to 20:00/ 21:00/ 22:00 depending. If you only get that you'll be lucky as you could get a couple of hours at lunch time and maybe something in the morning and that really chops up your day.
You're probably looking at approx 1000€ take home for 25 - 30 hours contact time which is plenty
Thank you for replying! At the moment I have a TEFL qualification but I am more than willing to gain a CELTA qualification as I've read on previous threads it would open up my options. I'm happy to teach adults or children, do you know whether a CELTA would be enough to work in a school or would I need a PGCE? And also do you know what the school hours are like?

·
Administrator
36,089 Posts
Thank you for replying! At the moment I have a TEFL qualification but I am more than willing to gain a CELTA qualification as I've read on previous threads it would open up my options. I'm happy to teach adults or children, do you know whether a CELTA would be enough to work in a school or would I need a PGCE? And also do you know what the school hours are like?
to work in an International school you'd need a BEd or PGCE - schools used to accept all kinds of non-teaching qualifications, but there has been a bit of a crack-down & they are not supposed to take teachers without a teaching degree

some bigger schools might take teaching assistants though

the two International schools in my area do 9am - 4:30pm

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
To work in a good international or British school you'll need a BEd or PGCE. To work in good language school you'll need a CELTA or DELTA or Trinity qualification. It's the iffy ones who will take anyone (and more than likely not pay you well, and give you poorer conditions all round). However, you do have experience so that will help you.
Working in a language school/ academy can be difficult because of the timetable and family life and the pay is likely to be lower than an international/ British school.
BTW when I said
I meant that's plenty of hours, not plenty of money!:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
BTW when I said I meant that's plenty of hours, not plenty of money!:)
Also, to be clear, I think you mean 1000€ nett per month on average (only paid work for 9 months of the year) for 25-30 hours per week.

I think 12-15€ per hour nett is possible, which would be 300-450€ per week / 1200-1800€ per month for 9 months of the year, but no pay in the summer, unless you can find something in a summer camp, so 12,000-18,000 per annum.

·
Administrator
36,089 Posts
Also, to be clear, I think you mean 1000€ nett per month on average (only paid work for 9 months of the year) for 25-30 hours per week.

I think 12-15€ per hour nett is possible, which would be 300-450€ per week / 1200-1800€ per month for 9 months of the year, but no pay in the summer, unless you can find something in a summer camp, so 12,000-18,000 per annum.
I'd say she meant 1000€ a month gross for 25-30 hours work a week

·
Registered
19,285 Posts

I'd say she meant 1000€ a month gross for 25-30 hours work a week
Sorry.
You'd think I could write more clearly after all this teaching and forum experience, wouldn't you?
I was talking about

• 1000€ net
  • per month
  • on average (so it could be 900€, it could be 1100€)
  • for 25 - 30 hours per week
  • for only 9 months a year guaranteed work
  • in a language school (ie not in an international/ British school, not working self employed, not working in companies, not working in university language programme, not as a language assistant)
  • south of Madrid

Christmas and Easter holidays paid?? You'd need to check and of course good places of work will pay the holidays and will tell you that up front

Have I/ we covered everything there?:)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Not that it makes a huge difference, but with academy work isn't it possible to claim unemployment benefit for the summer months between contracts?

·
Administrator
36,089 Posts
Sorry.
You'd think I could write more clearly after all this teaching and forum experience, wouldn't you?
I was talking about

• 1000€ net
  • per month
  • in a language school (ie not in an international/ British school, not working self employed, not working in companies, not working in university language programme, not as a language assistant)
  • south of Madrid

Christmas and Easter holidays paid?? You'd need to check and of course good places of work will pay the holidays and will tell you that up front

& you'd think I'd read better.... I missed where you said 'take home'..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry.
I was talking about

• 1000€ net
  • per month
  • south of Madrid

Much better, top of the class!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not that it makes a huge difference, but with academy work isn't it possible to claim unemployment benefit for the summer months between contracts?
I read somewhere it's only available after your first year of residency, assuming you've paid money into the system I suppose.

·
Registered
19,285 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've thought of something else!
The info I am giving I believe to be right for someone who has a recognised CELTA/ Trinity qualification.
And all the info I am giving is my idea, not written in stone kind of thing.
What is a recognized CELTA/Trinity qual? (Pardon my ignorance, I'm not an English teacher)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry.
I was talking about

• 1000€ net
  • per month
  • south of Madrid

Thanks very much all of this information is really helpful!! There's definitely a lot for me to look in to

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks! Do you know any reputable websites which I could use to see what/where summer camp work is available? And does anyone know the best times to start looking for this type of work?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks! Do you know any reputable websites which I could use to see what/where summer camp work is available? And does anyone know the best times to start looking for this type of work?
Summer camps are popular here because the school holidays are so long. Most academies run them to bring in extra revenue. Our local state school has one too, plus the art school, climbing school, martial arts school, etc are open a lot and run half day classes Monday to Friday throughout July. You could start looking just after Easter to start in June.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts