Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum and am looking for advice about working in france as an esl teacher. The problem seems to be that there are no schools/ language centres near to us? I am looking in the centre area.... Chateauroux, Poitiers, La Chatre, Bourges etc but it seems they are either not advertised or none existent.......
Any advice would be great, I contacted the MJC but they couldn't help nor the tourist information....:confused

·
Administrator
51,637 Posts
Look in the French yellow pages PagesJaunes : Annuaire des professionnels et bonnes adresses under "Ecoles de langues" with the towns or the departement number you're interested in. Most reasonable sized towns have some sort of language school - often private - for business people in the area. (Look for "Wall St. English" if you have trouble finding anything else. They're a huge chain language school that seems to be about everywhere in France.)

Formal schools for English (or other languages) serve the businesses in the area, so anywhere there are companies with international ties, there is some need. Otherwise, there is tutoring - either at the university level or for lycéens cramming for their bac.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but here in Germany there is the VHS ( adult learning run by the state) is there no such thing in France? I always have a look about when I am there but find nothing. I am wondering if would be easier working freelance rather than for a school......any thoughts?

·
Administrator
51,637 Posts
No, there isn't an equivalent to the VHS in France. Businesses have to spend a certain amount each year on "continuing education" for their employees, and for training in languages, most spend the money on commercial schools.

Going freelance might work out better for you - but you need to find a core of potential students.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.