Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I currently work as a teaching support assistant in England (I am white British) and was looking for some information on doing this role in Spain. I am keen to give my daughter a better life and crave to live in the sun and by the sea. Wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction I.e to find out what sort of qualification is required etc? Thank you Stacey

·
Administrator
36,443 Posts
Hi I currently work as a teaching support assistant in England (I am white British) and was looking for some information on doing this role in Spain. I am keen to give my daughter a better life and crave to live in the sun and by the sea. Wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction I.e to find out what sort of qualification is required etc? Thank you Stacey
:welcome:

you wouldn't be able to get that sort of work in state schools in Spain - you'd need native level Spanish & be able to pass oposiciones - also, my kids have never had teaching assistants in their classes here, so I'm not sure that role even exists :confused2:

your best bet would be to contact British/International schools - if you look at the 'useful links' sticky near the top of the forum you'll find a link to some organisations with lists of these schools

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thank you very much. Would probably be looking to work in a British school as I don't currently speak Spanish x

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I know someone who does this in an international school. She has no dependants to care for but has to suppplement her income teaching by English privately in her spare time. If you have to find extra work in the evenings, you may not really be offering your daughter a better lifestyle.

It might help to get a classroom assistant job if you get a TEFL/ CELTA qualification.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
This role exists in the state schools in the Canary Islands. We were approached to become teaching assistants some time ago, but declined the offer. I have also met another English person on this island who does this type of work. Now whether they are still recruiting I do not know.

Here is a Irish link covering España but it is in Spanish, however if you google English Teaching assistants Canary Islands there are some responses in English
Irlanda

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
Great thank you very much. Would probably be looking to work in a British school as I don't currently speak Spanish x
Hello Stacey...I wonder if you really know what things are like now in Spain:)
Spain has the highest unemployment rate in Europe...in some parts one in three people are looking for jobs. Unemployment is at its highest in those areas you would like to be...on the coast.

The cost of living in Spain is as expensive if not more so than in the UK. Even if you found a job, it wouldn't be secure and you wouldn't earn enough to keep you and your daughter without having to take a second job. There seem to be few vacancies for teaching assistants in Spanish or British schools here -the Spanish Government isn't as generous as the UK Government in providing funding for TAs. You speak no Spanish...it's essential to do so if you want a job.

You didn't say how old your daughter is but depending o0n her age it may be inadvisable to enrol her in the Spanish state system. No way could you afford private fees on the money you'd earn....if you found a job.

Look at the basics: rent of around 500 - 600 euros a month on the coast -and that for a flat. Then utilities....another 200 euros at least. Transport, insurances, medical costs...you may not qualify for full free state health care....and that's before you eat!

Spain, unlike the UK, has no generous welfare state. No Child Tax Credit, no Housing Benefit....If you did find a job and lost it and you had no job or home to return to in the UK ...what would you do?

I'm going to be cruel to be kind here and say that a 'craving' for life by the sea is a flimsy base on which to project a stable life for you and your daughter. Keep your job, enjoy holidays by the sea and save for a possible retirement in Spain.

The only people who should even think of coming to Spain now are retired people with good incomes, people with well-paid secure jobs and those who have businesses established here in Spain or which they can run via the internet.

I know this is not what you want to hear and I'm sorry to be pouring water on your hopes and dreams. But to mislead you into thinking that you need only to buy a ticket, land and find a job would be cruel and deceitful.

You have an important job....TAs play a vital role in pupils' learning and general well-being (I was a Head). Hold on to it and look forward to your next summer holiday in Spain.:)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Dont be fooled into thinking that you'd be giving your daughter a better life in Spain. You dont say how old she is, but I assume you and she have family and friends around you, that you have a home, security and finances where you are now. Moving to and setting up in Spain is costly and unless you have friends and family there, you'll find it hard. The better lifestyle is a myth. Its a harsh country to live in. Great for holidays tho, so why dont you rent somewhere for the whole of the school holidays and "live" in Spain for the summer??? Take it from there

Jo xxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
.... As for teaching assistants in International schools, the two schools my children went to had an average of 10 kids per class, so there wasnt a need for assistants. One of their schools did have one "teaching assistant" He was a qualified teacher and really just helped out in the school cos his wife was the deputy head. He wasnt an assistant as in the UK sense tho, more of a sort of "dogsbody"/supply teacher.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My daughter is 4 and yes we have family and friends around us here. I just get so frustrated with this country and the way people are treated regardless of how long you've lived here or what you've put in. I know it is one of the better places to live and i am also very proud of my country. But you are all right maybe I would be running away to what I envisage as a better life, but actually end up living a nightmare :(( I just love Spain so much but as you say, nothing to stop me continuing to holiday there. Maybe in the future i will train to be a teacher and this may open more doors for me if I still wish to consider the move. I can't thank you all enough for your honesty and advice it had really helped me. So glad I came across this app! Xx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
My daughter is 4 and yes we have family and friends around us here. I just get so frustrated with this country and the way people are treated regardless of how long you've lived here or what you've put in. I know it is one of the better places to live and i am also very proud of my country. But you are all right maybe I would be running away to what I envisage as a better life, but actually end up living a nightmare :(( I just love Spain so much but as you say, nothing to stop me continuing to holiday there. Maybe in the future i will train to be a teacher and this may open more doors for me if I still wish to consider the move. I can't thank you all enough for your honesty and advice it had really helped me. So glad I came across this app! Xx
Sorted then lol!!! Lotsa holidays in Spain, find an area, get to know people and the systems etc. Meanwhile, get your teaching qualifications and make it your mission to eventually move over. You know there are lots of people who spend half their time in Spain and the other half in the UK and get the best of both worlds - in fact I seem to be doing that. We lived in Spain for four years and altho I loved it, it wasnt without its problems so we moved back to the UK. I now flit back and forth, which is ok. I belong in both countries!!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well that sounds good to me. Doing bit of both would be ideal but not sure practical, I'm going to keep playin the lottery and wishful thinking!! Lol x

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
There are teaching assistants posts in Spain in state schools for the English Language. My daughter has had 2 in her secondary school. I think they are employed through the British Council. This is what halydia always wrote about, (ex member of the forum)

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
My daughter is 4 and yes we have family and friends around us here. I just get so frustrated with this country and the way people are treated regardless of how long you've lived here or what you've put in.
That is one of the things about the UK you should be most proud of, Stacey. The UK is a civilised country where regardless of skin colour or ethnicity you receive equal treatment. Not so everywhere.

And of course we who live here whether working or not are...immigrants.:)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts