Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
If you are from the uk and have managed to get a job teaching in a secondary school in Australia - could you give me some pointers to get started?
Any advice appreciated! Did you temp first, go rural, join an agency etc etc
Many thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi,

A friend of mine is a teacher in Perth, WA. She migrated last year from Turkey. She has a degree in English Teaching in Turkey and she was an English teacher at a secondary school for some years.

First, she got an accreditation from WACOT. (She says that you cannot practice teaching unless you have an accreditation and for this you need a degree in teaching and relevant experience.) Then she applied to some schools. She had some interviews and finally she was accepted as a subsitute teacher. The school was calling her when they needed someone to cover a class. She got paid hourly. Then she was offered a job as an assisstant teacher. She Works at an elemantary school.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you teach maths and have had your quals. assessed and accepted you should be fine. If your subjects are anything other than maths i expect you would have to do casual work or perhaps take a country posting that is difficult to fill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are maths or science it shouldn't be a problem. I arrived 2 years ago took me 2 month to find a permanent position. I originally e-mailed all schools in Brisbane with my references and C.V. and took it from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts