Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am considering taking a teaching position in Dartford, Kent. I would be paid on the national scale so something in the region of 23k GBP. From my research it looks like I'll take home 16k GBP. Is this enough money to live to a reasonable standard AND save enough for 4 to 5 weeks of travel? I don't have any expenses except a plane tickets to go home for the summer.

I am specifically looking for how much of my 16k would be spent on essentials like rent, utilities, food, clothing, transportation. Ideally, I'd like to live alone but am ok with sharing.

Also, is there a teacher shortage in the UK or is the pay too low for most? I assume there is a reason they are recruiting on this side of the pond rather than at home.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,015 Posts
Here is a link to a pay calculator which will give you a pretty accurate idea of what your take home pay will be:

UK PAYE Income Tax Calculator 2011 salary calculator UK. Updated for 2011 / 2012 tax year. Calculate wages pension national insurance and student loan repayments online.

What subject do you teach? It would have to fall on the shortage occupation list and at the moment that includes special education teachers and math and various science teachers only.

Shortage occupation list:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/workingintheuk/shortageoccupationlist.pdf

As to whether you will have enought to live, that's totally going to depend on your lifestyle.

Here's a link to a property website so you can get an idea of what rental properties will cost in Kent:

Primelocation: Homes & Houses For Sale, Estate Agents, Property Search

Your can check some on-line shopping websites to get an idea of food costs, Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Ocado.

I think Kent is in Maidstone so this link will give you some info on available transport and council tax which is another montly expense you will have to pay along the usual gas, electric, phone, internet, cable, mobile, TV licence (about £12/month).

Transport and streets :: Maidstone Borough Council

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Hello,

I am considering taking a teaching position in Dartford, Kent. I would be paid on the national scale so something in the region of 23k GBP. From my research it looks like I'll take home 16k GBP. Is this enough money to live to a reasonable standard AND save enough for 4 to 5 weeks of travel? I don't have any expenses except a plane tickets to go home for the summer.

I am specifically looking for how much of my 16k would be spent on essentials like rent, utilities, food, clothing, transportation. Ideally, I'd like to live alone but am ok with sharing.

Also, is there a teacher shortage in the UK or is the pay too low for most? I assume there is a reason they are recruiting on this side of the pond rather than at home.

Thanks!
Hi, as an ex-teacher's wife (the wife of an ex-teacher, that is) could I ask what sort of school it is? Although teachers' salaries aren't great, that's not the biggest problem causing the shortage. Many teachers just get burnt out with stress because of the heavy workload, shortage of classroom resources, badly behaved kids (drugs and knife crime are not uncommon), and even aggressive parents. If the school is an inner-city comprehensive, think very carefully before accepting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.