Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am in a recruitment process with a UK based company and, compare to some French salaries, what they propose seems very interesting...but I want to investigate a bit better to see what I'm loosing if I quit my job to accept this offer and what I can expect there.

First: in France a company can pay you 100 but you generally receive 75, and at the end of the year you pay taxes on these 75, 14 to 45% so basically it can get down to 41€ to take home...

I have read in UK you have PAYE system so every month, what you see is what you get...I found calculators to see what I would get if I was single but I have 4 kids so I guess it would change the calculation, right?

I have an apartment here I would like to keep so I will find someone to rent it to which means I'll have my salary in UK and this additional revenue in France. Would that be a problem?

Second: the mother of my children and I are not married but we have a PACS which is a kind of contract to say we live together like if we were married but without being married...there is only one tax declaration and her 2 kids (which are not mine, only the last 2 really are) depend on me so they count on the calculation every year.

Is this PACS recognized in UK or should we do something similar there to keep things as they are? If yes, her kids are going to be considered for the calculation of my taxes?

Third: the company proposed a based salary + corp benefits so I guess there will be some kind of health insurance...from experience, do you think I should subscribe to another one to cover optical and dental expenses for example? a French or a local one?

Is there any part of the taxes we pay destined to finance my retirement and/or a minimum income if I lose my job?

Fourth: I don't want to ask for a golden parachute, I'm not at this level just yet but if I leave everything I have here (house, schools, kindergarden...+ my favourite pubs with my favourite belgium beers) I don't want to be the only one to support the risk.

Would it be legitimate to ask for a participation to the relocation and maybe a temporary apartment for me to find a good one I like? for a participation for the French school (they are not going to like this one because *4kids)? for an eventual support to move back to France if they decide to let me go within the first X months?

Fifth (sorry, the more I write the more I want to clarify): how easily and quickly can they let me go? If I come back to France, let's say after 4 years, every tax I paid in UK for retirement and/or in case of unemployement are retrievable?

I realize I should ask them for a budget to go see a lawyer...but if you can bring me answers, you would gain my eternal gratidude!

Thanks a lot in advance
Luke

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hello,

I am not sure if your partner's children from a previous relationship will count towards your tax savings, as you are not married, nor have you legally adopted these children. Your two may affect the taxes you pay, but as I have no children, I am not sure how.

Nyclon has already answered- PACS is not recognised. In legal terms, the UK will view your partner and you as boyfriend-girlfriend.

The NHS (which you would be eligible to use) covers most medical issues and with the addition of your works' private health insurance, you will not need anything else covered, I don't believe. As long as your private insurance covers dentists, you should be good to go.

You can negotiate packages with your company, but remember, the UK is not as generous as France in employee benefits etc. Your salary is usually what is expected to cover all and every cost you incur. However, relocation packages and temporary accommodation are not unheard of for senior executives , so it cannot hurt to ask. You can only find out once you have put the question forward.

In terms of your final question- it is not easy to dismiss anyone from a permanent contract, unless gross misconduct or something similar was proved. If you return to France in 4 years time, I believe your pension contributions will still be accessible but don't know about unemployment benefits etc.

Most of the questions you have put here, would be best asked to your new company's HR team. They should be easily able to clarify points and details of their contract with you.

All the best.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Second: the mother of my children and I are not married but we have a PACS which is a kind of contract to say we live together like if we were married but without being married...there is only one tax declaration and her 2 kids (which are not mine, only the last 2 really are) depend on me so they count on the calculation every year.

Is this PACS recognized in UK or should we do something similar there to keep things as they are? If yes, her kids are going to be considered for the calculation of my taxes?

Is there any part of the taxes we pay destined to finance my retirement and/or a minimum income if I lose my job?
Luke

I may be wrong, but I don't think the UK offers tax deductions for married couples or children.

With regards to 'taxes we pay destined to finance my retirement and / or minimum income if I lose my job' - this is call National Insurance Contributions in the UK. Once again, NI contribution is taken from your wage via PAYE. You will get up to £73.10 per week in Job Seekers Allowance when you are unemployed.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance

You can get up to £122.30 per week in UK state pension.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/what-youll-get

·
Registered
675 Posts
One more point -

If your civil partner and her children are not EEA nationals, they may not have the right to live in the UK and you will need to get visas for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.