Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am trying in vain to figure what a ballpark yearly taxe d'habitation payment on a 40 - 45 square meter rental apartment with a monthly rent of 650 Euros in Menton, Cote d'Azur might be. Part of my problem is that while I a have a basic "day-to-day" French, it is not good enough to read/understand complex French texts very well.
A figure that seems to be floating around in my head from somewhere seems to be about 700 Euros/year. Is that even close or perhaps way off?
Could someone comment/ I would be most grateful!
Thank you so much.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am trying in vain to figure what a ballpark yearly taxe d'habitation payment on a 40 - 45 square meter rental apartment with a monthly rent of 650 Euros in Menton, Cote d'Azur might be. Part of my problem is that while I a have a basic "day-to-day" French, it is not good enough to read/understand complex French texts very well.
A figure that seems to be floating around in my head from somewhere seems to be about 700 Euros/year. Is that even close or perhaps way off?
Could someone comment/ I would be most grateful!
Thank you so much.
Most French people do use the actual rent as a basis for quesstimating Taxe d'Hab, however it's not necessarily reliable. The tax is calculated by the communes by using a notional rent in the specific quartier (which is not necessarily the usual rent), the habitable size, the number of rooms, and multiplying by a factor that they determine themselves each year. I believe the communes have all recently set the factor for taxe d'hab payable in October 2014 for properties occupied at 1/1/2014. The factor will change next year. Some communes have made significant increases to their taxe d'hab and taxe fonciere. What they will do next year is anyone's guess. So that pretty much leaves you with the 700 Euros guesstimate, unless a Menton local chips in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not completely relevant to the thread question, but relevant to the title of the thread.

How do you receive your taxe d'habilitiation. I moved in April, and registered my move with my old prefecture. I also did my tax form for my new address, but I have not yet reregistered with OFII (my work told me I didn't need to, and I found out last week I just need to tell the commissariat of my new arr. here in Paris).

I received a call today about the taxe d'habilitation, but my french was not sufficient enough to understand what the lady was telling me. As of yet, I have not yet received any mail related to the taxe d'habilitation. However, I also completely forgot to get my mail forwarded from my old french address. I thought I had done it, but it turns out I didn't.

Does anyone know if we should have received the Taxe d'Hab info yet (old address was paris 5 arr)?

Thanks!

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
It's too early to have received your taxe d'hab bill and you can still change your address with La Poste online.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is great to hear! I had a panic when they called and I had no idea what was being said. How do I go about changing my address with la poste then? I can't find it anywhere online? Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
49,815 Posts
If you've changed address, when you filed your French income tax declaration, there should have been a place where they asked you for your address as of January 1st. That's what triggers the change of address for the taxe d'hab. (But you still pay your taxe d'hab on your address at January 1st.)

As Everhopeful says, though, it's still way too early for the bill to come out. Figure September-ish - after you get your income tax assessment.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
23 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts