Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question on a slightly different topic which is why I broke it out.

All of my money is paid into a US-based LLC. After expenses I have a pass-through income which is my net personal income in the US. I have no French clients and no French-source income so I get no benefit from the bonafide foreign resident clause I would imagine. I understand French residents are taxed on worldwide income.

How does it work with France? Do I declare the pass-through net income amount from the US after deductions on a personal tax form?

Is it in my interest and/or necessary to create a business entity in France? Or can I just file as an individual?

Thanks---- again!

·
Administrator
50,474 Posts
Where you are paid, or where your clients are located is completely irrelevant when it comes to the French tax system.

You are supposed to declare your worldwide income in France if you are tax resident here. If your income is "earned income" (i.e. you do something to make it, rather than it just being dividends), then you probably should set up some sort of business entity here in order to be properly registered with the cotisation (social insurance) agencies. The type of business entity will determine whether you just pass through the income to yourself as personal income or whether the business entity pays its own taxes and just pays you a "salary."
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts