Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello all.
I have renovated and completed the holiday rental I was doing...
<snip>
I am now fully operational and taking bookings, I have took bookings I'm not plugging but need to know what I do next, keep tabs of earnings and register with the French authorities.
One potential problem is that one third party site pays me in £ the other in euros.. think I know the answer to this, but to confirm... probably be best to consolidate them all into euros via my French account?
What are the tax implications in France and is there a limit prior to taxation like the allowance for self employment in the UK?

Any advice appreciated.

John

·
Administrator
50,474 Posts
OK, the issue is where are you tax resident? Given that you seem to be "operating a business" in France, I suspect the answer is France. But the UK tax residence rules are kind of complex, so you may need to make sure you are properly "checked out" of the UK tax system.

In any event, the French system doesn't have a threshold for filing like the UK system does. You should probably register your business - whether as an "auto entrepreneur" or using one of the uni-person business entities (or something else, if you have partners in business with you). The advantage of the auto entrepreneur is that, other than simply keeping track of your turnover, there is no bookkeeping nor reporting requirement. You pay your cotisations and (ultimately) your taxes based solely on gross revenue taken in. No need to track expenses (though you may well want to do so for your own purposes).

For help with doing something more elaborate, you may want to consult your local Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie (CCI). They usually have sections devoted to people starting up a business, and offer information, consultation and even classes in the basics.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev
I am registered in UK for tax and self employed, I am now at the stage where Ive had rental income, far lower than outgoing expenses in setting up.... but what i know is what to do now, as got to tell them in france about the income, but there seems to be so many options... cant i just simply do a self assessment of income like in the UK, i am aware theres a dual tax agreement with france.. thanks, not sure whether might be best to open a new thread? thanks

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Firstly where do you normally live?This is important because it will be a major factor in pointing you in the right direction.As the property is in France they get first dibs at taxing your income If you are resident in the UK you still have to declare the French rental and any tax paid.The first thing you should do is register the gite at your local marie and you may want to take advice from the local chamber of commerce This site gives you an idea of taxation setting up your gite etc
Législation et fiscalité des chambres d'hôtes, gîtes et locations de vacances

·
Administrator
50,474 Posts
cant i just simply do a self assessment of income like in the UK,
This is the main issue here. No there isn't a "self-assessment" like in the UK. If you are resident in France, you declare your worldwide income to the French Fisc. And it's the Fisc that determines what (if any) taxes you owe.

If you're resident in the UK, then it's only the business in France that you have to declare and potentially pay tax on. However, if it's a business, then it needs to be registered in some manner in France. The the way it's registered determines what level of accounting and reporting you need to do.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My main residence is uk based, in France its maison secondaire. I have had bookings and payments, it's complete house no breakfasts etc...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks bev, the registering and acknowledging is the thing I'm worried about .. I had my first booking in July August and I don't have a surer or anything, rental income is around €3k not a great deal but expect this to increase. It is registered with local town as location du tourisme

1 - 7 of 7 Posts