Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
¡Hola!

I Know I have to 'do' my taxes here in Spain, but I quite literally have no idea where to start. I'm pretty admin savvy so I just need a pointer.

I know I'm extremely fortunate to have work in Spain right now, and I want to make rue everything is done right & that I have my ducks in a row.... For info I'm an English teacher.

I'd be grateful if somebody could help?

Many thanks!

JJ

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
¡Hola!

I Know I have to 'do' my taxes here in Spain, but I quite literally have no idea where to start. I'm pretty admin savvy so I just need a pointer.

I know I'm extremely fortunate to have work in Spain right now, and I want to make rue everything is done right & that I have my ducks in a row.... For info I'm an English teacher.

I'd be grateful if somebody could help?

Many thanks!

JJ
You aint got much time JJ
Many would advocate doing it yourself, but to be honest with all the hassle I just give it to a gestor in the past and he does my wife and I for €50

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

When do they have to be in by? Does it make a difference that I've only been here (and working) since last October?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Thanks!

When do they have to be in by? Does it make a difference that I've only been here (and working) since last October?
The tax year for residents runs 1st Jan to 31st Dec - the tax return must be filed before the end of June.

.... so you should be fine if you're quick.

However, are you autonomo? If so, I seem to recall that you have to do quarterly returns or is that just for IVA?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks!

Well, technically you're not a Spanish tax resident for 2011, because you only arrived in October, although you may be having spanish tax deducted from your salary. Assuming you came from the UK, then depending upon when you arrived, you will still be a tax resident of the UK for 2011/12 (if you arrived in Spain after the 7th October 2011).

As far as Spain is concerned you need to register as tax resident by completing a Modelo 01. You also need to deregister as a tax resident of the UK.

I think you need some proper advice covering this period, particularly with regard to the cross over of the tax years. Personally I would go and seek advice from someone who can advise you about your situation in both countries.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Thanks!

If you have only been here since October then you dont need to do a tax return until next year. Same happened to us when we moved here in October 2006, we didnt need to do a return until May 2008 for the 2007 tax year.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts