Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We plan to move to Spain soon.

My husband is British and works abroad all his life. We lived in China for years and save quite a lot. We bought two properties in UK to let. The rental income will be around GBP 1000.00. Both our names will be on the title of deeds. But all the income will just go to my husband's UK bank account.

The questions:
1. My husband is British. He will get personal allowance around GBP 10000.00. Right? He has some shares but no pension in UK since he did not pay enougn NI. If the rental income is less than GBP 10000.00. He wont need to pay any tax. right?

2. Even though both of names will be on the deeds but the income will only go to his account. Should I declare any income and pay tax? Can the income only go to his account or has to be splited 50/50?
I am Chinese and not never resident in UK.

3. If we resident in Spain in Jan., I assume the income in UK has nothing to do with Spain? Or we need to pay some tax in Spain?

Neither of us are employed at this moment. We will live in Spain in our own house and get some income from UK. So there is not much income at all. So we hope no tax at all.

Any reply will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sandra

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
We plan to move to Spain soon.

My husband is British and works abroad all his life. We lived in China for years and save quite a lot. We bought two properties in UK to let. The rental income will be around GBP 1000.00. Both our names will be on the title of deeds. But all the income will just go to my husband's UK bank account.

The questions:
1. My husband is British. He will get personal allowance around GBP 10000.00. Right? He has some shares but no pension in UK since he did not pay enougn NI. If the rental income is less than GBP 10000.00. He wont need to pay any tax. right?

2. Even though both of names will be on the deeds but the income will only go to his account. Should I declare any income and pay tax? Can the income only go to his account or has to be splited 50/50?
I am Chinese and not never resident in UK.

3. If we resident in Spain in Jan., I assume the income in UK has nothing to do with Spain? Or we need to pay some tax in Spain?

Neither of us are employed at this moment. We will live in Spain in our own house and get some income from UK. So there is not much income at all. So we hope no tax at all.

Any reply will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sandra
Income in UK has a lot to do with Spain! You need a qualified tax accountant, familiar with UK and Spanish tax rules.You could end up paying tax on Spain if you move here before July 2nd(183 days in Spain will mean you are tax resident)
Even the timing of your move to Spain will be affected by the tax rules
You will have to make tax declarations in Spain, even if under the tax threshold.You declare all your worldwide income, including savings interest, lump sums etc.
You have to declare all your assets outside Spain if over 50,000 euros in each category of bank accounts,(even if joint accounts) investments and property.
Tax is complicated, and the Taxman is greedy!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Income in UK has a lot to do with Spain! You need a qualified tax accountant, familiar with UK and Spanish tax rules.You could end up paying tax on Spain if you move here before July 2nd(183 days in Spain will mean you are tax resident)
Even the timing of your move to Spain will be affected by the tax rules
You will have to make tax declarations in Spain, even if under the tax threshold.You declare all your worldwide income, including savings interest, lump sums etc.
You have to declare all your assets outside Spain if over 50,000 euros in each category of bank accounts,(even if joint accounts) investments and property.
Tax is complicated, and the Taxman is greedy!
Thanks a lot.
It seems very complicated. But that is the situation. Because i am Chinese, we will have to resident officially in Spain.

Anyway, after we move, I am sure i will get more advices from all of you on this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts