Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the UK, I trade for a living, which is tax free. I would like to keep this status but also spend as little time in the UK as possible. I believe the rule is 90 days in the UK to retain tax resident status though I have also heard 183 days mentioned.
If I move to Ibiza, as long as I remain there for less than 183 days, I am told I do not become tax resident in Spain. However, would trading be classed as a contracted employment? It is self employment after all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In the UK, I trade for a living, which is tax free. I would like to keep this status but also spend as little time in the UK as possible. I believe the rule is 90 days in the UK to retain tax resident status though I have also heard 183 days mentioned.
If I move to Ibiza, as long as I remain there for less than 183 days, I am told I do not become tax resident in Spain. However, would trading be classed as a contracted employment? It is self employment after all.
Lol, How many differing opinions are you after on how many different forums?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, How many differing opinions are you after on how many different forums?
Pretty much every expat forum to do with Spain. :)
Differeing opinions is the way to research it and there might be people who have done similar :)

·
Administrator
36,518 Posts
Pretty much every expat forum to do with Spain. :)
Differeing opinions is the way to research it and there might be people who have done similar :)
lay opinions are not legal/financial advice

which I think is what you really need

·
Registered
843 Posts
There is a difference between residence in a country, and tax resident in a country, and the rules are very complex and grey. Don't assume that because you 'count' your days in one country or another, you will be able to avoid tax in that country. For tax purposes, the authorities take other factors into account to determine whether you are liable for tax. We took professional advice before relocating to Spain, and I would recommend that you do too (We saw Blevins Franks). We paid for for their advice, and had the ability to go back to them to answer queries. I would strongly recommend that if you have a high net worth, you do the same. As xabiachica rightly points out, 'lay opinions are not legal/financial advice'.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I work in Egypt.. I pay no tax because I earn my money out of the country although it is paid into a U.K account.
I have a commercial property in the U.K which I have to pay rates etc on.
Any money earned in the U.K by a U.K citizen is liable to taxation.

Maiden
And rightly so. When we owned a UK business we gritted our teeth and paid up. We like most other honest people are still paying high rates of tax on our investment income but when in the UK we use many services paid for out of the public purse. We are not freeloaders.
People who live and work in the UK and who deliberately avoid paying due taxes should perhaps abstain from making use of any infrastructure revenue for which comes from UK taxpayers.
If we all cheated the taxman there would be no infrastructure for us to use.
I see tax dodgers as equivalent to benefit cheats.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And rightly so. When we owned a UK business we gritted our teeth and paid up. We like most other honest people are still paying high rates of tax on our investment income but when in the UK we use many services paid for out of the public purse. We are not freeloaders.
People who live and work in the UK and who deliberately avoid paying due taxes should perhaps abstain from making use of any infrastructure revenue for which comes from UK taxpayers.
If we all cheated the taxman there would be no infrastructure for us to use.
I see tax dodgers as equivalent to benefit cheats.
I have to disagree with you there. There is a difference between tax dodging illegally and legally playing the rules. You assume all your paid tax doesn't go to line the pockets of some dodgy people along the way, which is not the case.
Play the rules until the rules change :) - that's common sense.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I have to disagree with you there. There is a difference between tax dodging illegally and legally playing the rules. You assume all your paid tax doesn't go to line the pockets of some dodgy people along the way, which is not the case.
Play the rules until the rules change :) - that's common sense.
If you abide by the rules you aren't 'dodging'. Any 'dodging' outside the rules is illegal and as I said akin to benefit cheating. No reputable accountant or lawyer will advise or assist you to do anything which falls outside legitimate business practice.
We owned two medium-sized businesses and for us our reputation was of paramount importance, both for attracting a loyal customer base and for recruiting reliable workers. We did not wish to be known as the 'dodgy' company. For instance, we were often offered cash payments in consideration for waiving VAT - something we never did. In my view, if you can't make enough money to pay your taxes, you probably shouldn't be in business.

I don't understand what you meant when you talked of your paid tax 'lining somebody's pockets'. Are you implying that corrupt practices are commonplace among the ranks of HMCR?
I can think of some countries where I would assume that to be highly probable but I have had no reason to think that the probity of the UK taxman was any less than ours as businesspeople.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
nt.
I have a commercial property in the U.K which I have to pay rates etc on.
Any money earned in the U.K by a U.K citizen is liable to taxation.

Maiden
I'm afraid thats not quite the case. I'm a UK Citizen, but I am a Spanish resident. Income earned by me in the UK is taxed here in Spain, not the UK. Property rentals are a little different, unless you register in a particular way, and may be taken at source before you get your rental income, but I believe you can change that by de registering for tax in the UK totally.

On the subject of taxes, I ran a £4.5 million turnover business in the UK and we made every effort we possibly could to avoid paying taxes whenever we could. Thats not to say we did anything illegal at all, we just played the system. When you are paying 40% tax you make sure you do what you can to protect your wealth!

EDIT:
My wife used to work for H M Customs Investigation Division, and I can assure you the chances of being a bent revenue collector in the UK are about zero

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm afraid thats not quite the case. I'm a UK Citizen, but I am a Spanish resident. Income earned by me in the UK is taxed here in Spain, not the UK. Property rentals are a little different, unless you register in a particular way, and may be taken at source before you get your rental income, but I believe you can change that by de registering for tax in the UK totally.

On the subject of taxes, I ran a £4.5 million turnover business in the UK and we made every effort we possibly could to avoid paying taxes whenever we could. Thats not to say we did anything illegal at all, we just played the system. When you are paying 40% tax you make sure you do what you can to protect your wealth!

EDIT:
My wife used to work for H M Customs Investigation Division, and I can assure you the chances of being a bent revenue collector in the UK are about zero
Yes, worldwide income is usually taxed depending on where you are resident.
But is residency in SPain only determined by the 183 day rule or the fact that you are working there...and then is self employment in the UK classed as working in SPain? Say you ran a UK website business but just lived in Spain for 182 days only but you manage your website remotely from Spain. I will check the solicitor link above - seems good.

I never suggested the revenue inspectors were corrupt...just the people they do work for above that, not to mention mis management by politicians :)
Playing the tax rules is fine.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Yes, worldwide income is usually taxed depending on where you are resident.
But is residency in SPain only determined by the 183 day rule or the fact that you are working there...and then is self employment in the UK classed as working in SPain? Say you ran a UK website business but just lived in Spain for 182 days only but you manage your website remotely from Spain. I will check the solicitor link above - seems good.

I never sugg
Its complicated
But in theory you can be tax resident in the Uk and Spain at the same time. I wouldnt even attempt to second guess how this would work in reality.

Im just trying to take over a web based UK business myself. Have you actually checked which country its better for you to be taxed in. Do you know the allowances in each country etc?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its complicated
But in theory you can be tax resident in the Uk and Spain at the same time. I wouldnt even attempt to second guess how this would work in reality.

Im just trying to take over a web based UK business myself. Have you actually checked which country its better for you to be taxed in. Do you know the allowances in each country etc?
The web business was just an example for self employed people.
I trade tax free in the UK and/or tax reduced for CFDs, which is why I want to keep residency in the UK.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
The web business was just an example for self employed people.
I trade tax free in the UK and/or tax reduced for CFDs, which is why I want to keep residency in the UK.
Yes, sorry I forgot .... in which case we have come full circle. When you arrive in Spain with the intent to reside you are supposed to take residency here :D

Its the same as tax free lump sums on pensions. If you move here, they aint tax free any more ;):)

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
If you are classed as a resident in the Uk then you are liable to tax if you are earning money in the UK.
I am not classed by the tax man as a resident as I work overseas and I earn my money from a foreign country.

Yes, thats what I said :D
I thought you were saying that a UK citizen was taxed in the UK even if he lived abroad, I misunderstood sorry

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, sorry I forgot .... in which case we have come full circle. When you arrive in Spain with the intent to reside you are supposed to take residency here :D

Its the same as tax free lump sums on pensions. If you move here, they aint tax free any more ;):)
Intent to reside is what though :) ?
As far as I understand it means living for more than 183 days or is it just living there in a rented flat?

If you are classed as a resident in the Uk then you are liable to tax if you are earning money in the UK.
I am not classed by the tax man as a resident as I work overseas and I earn my money from a foreign country.
I'm clarifying this with HMRC but there is some confusion over whether it is 183 days or 91 days. They seem to have both rules.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Intent to reside is what though :) ?
As far as I understand it means living for more than 183 days or is it just living there in a rented flat?

I'm clarifying this with HMRC but there is some confusion over whether it is 183 days or 91 days. They seem to have both rules.
You'd have to argue your point with the authorities on tax residence I guess :) I suspect a long term rental contract might be a pointer for them. Living here for that long you would have to register on the register of foreigners anyway which you have to do in 30 days.

I dont think you're going to get the answer here that you want. Things work here differently to the UK. When the authorities get into you, the onus will be on you to prove your point. Same with the illegal cars. They take them away from you and then you have to make them believe that you are in the right .... guilty until proved innocent.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts

EDIT:
That's what I have always assumed. We take honesty of public officials for granted and our trust is rarely betrayed. (MPs and Peers are a different matter;))
Of course we never paid more tax than we had to - which responsible person does? -but I can say hand on heart that we never tried to avoid paying tax which was correctly levelled on our business activities.
Incidentally, on the subject of paying UK tax whilst resident in Spain: there are some forms of income which are subject to Double Taxation Agreements and on which tax is paid only in the UK.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You'd have to argue your point with the authorities on tax residence I guess :) I suspect a long term rental contract might be a pointer for them. Living here for that long you would have to register on the register of foreigners anyway which you have to do in 30 days.

I dont think you're going to get the answer here that you want. Things work here differently to the UK. When the authorities get into you, the onus will be on you to prove your point. Same with the illegal cars. They take them away from you and then you have to make them believe that you are in the right .... guilty until proved innocent.
On a slight off topic. Can you have a UK car in Spain or do you have to pay Spanish road tax or is that linked to residency?
I thin the logistics of it would mean buying a car in Spain anyway because of petrol costs to drive to Spain.
Also, is there a communal car scheme in Ibiza? I know some exist in other countries but the Ibiza popn. might not be enough to warrant it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.