Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently a partner in a company in UK and tax is deducted from my drawings monthly and kept by the company until tax return is due. If I am due to leave in June for Perth and will be working for a company will I need to fill out self assesment in Aus. Will I have to fill out UK self assess before I leave UK as my company have deducted my tax at source or should I ask current company to give me the tax money I have paid so I can do self assesment in UK.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by self assessment, in Australia if you're an employee you pay a set amounts of tax per pay slip as set out at in the tax tables at www.ato.gov.au, if you earn more in one pay packet you pay more tax, if you earn less you pay less. After the the end of the tax year on 30 June you get to claim deductions and maybe get a bit of a refund.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
For UK, you also have to declare yourself as non-resident and based on that you may be due a tax refund for the tax year in which you leave the UK.

I would advise though that you speak to a Financial Advisor as there are other things to consider, which may make you liable to UK taxes upon your return. There is also quite a bit of info on the Inland Revenue's website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.