Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have filled out my tax return online but i have a few doubts/questions. If someone has the answers i would be most grateful.

My situation, i am a split parent, i have one child and i make payments direct to the mother.

1. Situation du foyer fiscal "Personnes à charge : 1 - Is this correct as he does not live with me, but i have him 2 days a week.
2. 7GA "Frais de garde: 1er enfant de moins de 6 ans au 1-1-2014" This is where i add how much i have paid his mother over the course of the year.
3. On my tax return for 2013 i was still living with his mother but i did not note on my tax return "personnes à charge" and i had a hefty tax bill for this year which has been paid. If i have the right how would i go about getting a tax rebate?

Many thanks for your advice
Phil

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You cannot count your child as a "personne à charge" as it's the child's mother who is mainly responsible for his upkeep and with whom he resides.

You can simply deduct the maintenance you pay to the mother for the child. This is called the "pension alimentaire" not "frais de garde".

·
Administrator
50,801 Posts
If you want to "correct" your 2013 taxes, you'll have to make an appointment with your tax office and go in and discuss what the problem was. I'm not sure if there is a limit to the time in which you can do this but they should be able to tell you at the tax office.

Just be aware, however, that if you filed your 2013 jointly, they may not be able/willing to make the payment of any rebate to you only. You may have to split it (somehow) with your ex.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
If you can't get to the tax office you can always contact them by email (the address is on your tax form) and explain the situation. I have done this in the past when I made a mistake and they are quick and helpful.

Have found this model of letter you could possibly use, filling in the gaps where necessary:

Je vous ai fait parvenir le _____ [Indiquez la date d'envoi] ma déclaration pour le calcul de _____ [Indiquez le nom de l’impôt concerné].

Or il me semble que j’ai commis une erreur dans les informations que je vous ai transmises.

En effet, dans la rubrique personnes à charge, j’ai noté ____ [Indiquez ce que vous avez noté], alors que j’aurais dû mentionner____ [Indiquez les données corrigées]. Je pense que cela modifie le calcul de mon imposition.

Aussi, je vous remercie de bien vouloir prendre en compte la rectification mentionnée ci-dessus pour l’établissement de l’avis d’imposition. Je demeure à votre disposition pour tout renseignement complémentaire et vous présente mes excuses pour le surcroît de travail ainsi occasionné.

Je vous prie d’agréer, Madame la Directrice / Monsieur le Directeur, l’expression de ma considération distinguée.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. Thanks for the responses. I think the question 1 goes hhand in hand with last year's declaration. I.e. if I cannot say I have a dependant child then I have no need to adjust last year's tax form. If we have no written agreement on who cares for him and he is with me almost half the week I cannot add him as a dependant? Last year it was not a joint declaration either.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the responses. I think the question 1 goes hhand in hand with last year's declaration. I.e. if I cannot say I have a dependant child then I have no need to adjust last year's tax form. If we have no written agreement on who cares for him and he is with me almost half the week I cannot add him as a dependant? Last year it was not a joint declaration either.
I had imagined that as you were living with the child's mother last year you had made a joint declaration. If this was not the case and the mother put him on her declaration, then it's probably a bit late to rectify but you can contact the tax people and try.

You say your son is with you 2 days a week which means he is with his mother for 5.
If his mother once again has put him as a personne à charge on her tax form, which I imagine is the case, then theoretically you cannot.

Once again, you need to see the people at the impots office if you think you might be able to do things differently, you have nothing to lose.

·
Administrator
50,801 Posts
If you didn't file a joint declaration, then that indicates that you're neither married nor PACS'd to the mother. Is she receiving the allocation familiale for the child? Cause that tends to go hand in hand with who gets the half-part for a first child.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Only parents who share the care of their children (garde alternée) in an equitable manner (generally one week with one parent, alternate week with the other) can share the tax advantage.

The 2 days during which you look after your son would be considered as droit de visite - normal parental access.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts