Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We moved in france in July last year , do we have to return tax papers !! My wife worked for a non European company till November. We don't have all the pays lips and tax papers for last year. Will it be a problem ? What's the income ceiling for couple? Thanks

·
Administrator
51,574 Posts
All things considered, you may not absolutely have to file French taxes - but OTOH, you may find it to your benefit to do so. (Ah, France - gotta love it! No question seems to have a simple yes-no answer.)

What counts is when you settled in France, not who you were working for. Once "resident" in France (and again, that term has no clear meaning) you are supposed to declare your worldwide income for tax purposes here. And the incentive to file, even if you don't have an absolute obligation is that you'll receive an "avis d'imposition" even if you owe nothing - and that comes in handy for many administrative functions, especially adjusting your taxe d'habitation if you are in a lower income bracket.

There is an exoneration from declaring your taxes if your gross revenue is less than the 0 tax level or if (as a married couple) your revenue for the year is less than about 9500€ (you'll have to check the exact amounts on the fisc website).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bev thanks for the explanation. Could you please let me know where do I need go to talk to about this things !! Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts