Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just started my job here in January,2015 with Tier 2 Visa. For 14/15 tax year, I earned £4,589.86 (5 days in Jan for £473.2 and £2,058.33x2 for Feb and Mar) and in P60 showed that I was taxed by £1,304.51 or 28.42% of my gross salary. My questions are;
- Did my employer deduct my salary too much for tax and if yes, how much the exact amount I have to pay for and how can i claim for tax refund?
- How can I get the P45 form? Is it provided by the employer or I have to fill in at job center plus.

Please advise.

Thank you,
Nopake

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
If that was the only job you did in the last tax year, then you shouldn't have paid any tax (though your are deducted NI contributions). Your employer should automatically refund the tax overpaid at the end of the year (5th April), usually in your next pay packet. What was the tax code you were on in 2014-15? Perhaps they don't have your up-to-date tax position. You should have completed an online form at http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=kPZMkDs75qQ&formId=7377.
You get P60 at the end of tax year (by the end of May) automatically. You get P45 when you leave your job.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Definitely check your tax code. My first UK employer used '0T' as my tax code which removes the personal allowance (in most cases the first £10,000 of your annual should be tax free for 2014/2015 tax year).

If you had a previous UK employer in that tax year, you should have received a P45 when you left. If not, I'm guessing you can contact your previous employer to get it. It basically let's your new employer know what your present tax situation is. It sounds like that job was your only employment in the 2014/2015 tax year? If so, you probably won't have a P45. If you need to update your tax position, use the HMRC link Joppa provided.

When I thought I was due a refund, I contacted HMRC once I had my P60 and correct tax code. HMRC acknowledged it and I received a cheque soon after. Or you can probably do it through your employer like Joppa said, which might be easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that was the only job you did in the last tax year, then you shouldn't have paid any tax (though your are deducted NI contributions). Your employer should automatically refund the tax overpaid at the end of the year (5th April), usually in your next pay packet. What was the tax code you were on in 2014-15? Perhaps they don't have your up-to-date tax position. You should have completed an online form at "remove"
You get P60 at the end of tax year (by the end of May) automatically. You get P45 when you leave your job.
Thank you for your answer. Yes, this is my first and only job in UK. I am the first tier 2 visa employee of the company, perhaps my employer may not know in this case. My tax code in P60 form is 0TM1. So, I should ask my employer to get my all taxes paid back, right?

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely check your tax code. My first UK employer used '0T' as my tax code which removes the personal allowance (in most cases the first £10,000 of your annual should be tax free for 2014/2015 tax year).

If you had a previous UK employer in that tax year, you should have received a P45 when you left. If not, I'm guessing you can contact your previous employer to get it. It basically let's your new employer know what your present tax situation is. It sounds like that job was your only employment in the 2014/2015 tax year? If so, you probably won't have a P45. If you need to update your tax position, use the HMRC link Joppa provided.

When I thought I was due a refund, I contacted HMRC once I had my P60 and correct tax code. HMRC acknowledged it and I received a cheque soon after. Or you can probably do it through your employer like Joppa said, which might be easier.
Thank you. My tax code also '0T' and I did not get personal allowance. That's why my employer deducted my salary in full of tax rate. In your first tax year, did you paid any tax? Furthermore, can I ask how to get correct tax code?

Thank you

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Your employer should have sorted out by now. Do they know you had no previous UK job?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you. My tax code also '0T' and I did not get personal allowance. That's why my employer deducted my salary in full of tax rate. In your first tax year, did you paid any tax? Furthermore, can I ask how to get correct tax code?

Thank you
I was in a similar situation to you: I had only worked for a couple of months in tax year but my employer had my code as '0T' so like you, I was taxed on the full amount. Since my income was less than the personal allowance, I received a refund of all the tax I paid that year.

I can't quite remember but I think I just phoned HMRC and they changed my tax code and then said they would send me a cheque in the amount of tax I overpaid.

Like Joppa says, your employer should have seen your P60 and realised that you paid tax when you shouldn't have and then sorted this out for you. Try getting in touch with payroll or someone in finance in your company.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.