Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I came to Australia in Jan. I have not completed 180 days as of June 30. Am i eligible for a tax refund. I got my PAYG and TFN. Thanks for the response.

Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Folks,

I came to Australia in Jan. I have not completed 180 days as of June 30. Am i eligible for a tax refund. I got my PAYG and TFN. Thanks for the response.

Thanks!
Since you migrated to Australia on permanent basis, you are Australian resident for tax purposes, whether you complete 183 days in Australia or not. Also, you can certainly claim and will get tax refund if you are eligible to get it .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you migrated to Australia on permanent basis, you are Australian resident for tax purposes, whether you complete 183 days in Australia or not. Also, you can certainly claim and will get tax refund if you are eligible to get it .
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am in 457 work permit and not on PR. Can i claim the returns ?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
You may be eligible depending on how much tax you paid and how much you earned (including any interest income), and if you are eligible for any deductions to reduce your tax. We cannot say for sure based on the information you have provided. Tax residency, alluded to in the OP's post, is not based on your visa status but rather is based on how long you have been resident in Australia (183 days).

To determine how much you will get back (if anything) you can check out the MyTax website on the ATO website. You can fill it in based on your situation and it will tell you what you will owe or get back before you lodge the form. https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Lodging-your-tax-return/Lodge-online/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I want to know whether I can get the tax returns as i have not completed 180 days as of June 30 and I am in 457 visa. I got my PAYG and have a few dollars of refund to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mate , just go to the ATO website, there is a section there - you'll answer some questions and it will tell you whether you are australian tax resident or not
You are most likely an australian resident for the tax purposes, thus will be eligible for a refund. The amount will be calculated automatically if you get your tax declaration submitted through the mygov

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mate , just go to the ATO website, there is a section there - you'll answer some questions and it will tell you whether you are australian tax resident or not
You are most likely an australian resident for the tax purposes, thus will be eligible for a refund. The amount will be calculated automatically if you get your tax declaration submitted through the mygov
Thanks Bro!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hi,

I want to know whether I can get the tax returns as i have not completed 180 days as of June 30 and I am in 457 visa. I got my PAYG and have a few dollars of refund to me.

Thanks!
As I said, you can find out what your refund will be by going onto the MyTax website on the ATO site in the link in my previous post. Not sure how else to explain this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts