Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I am new to this but i have seen some vey good info, so i was wondering if anyone can help with this. I am moving from the US to sydney for 2 years on a work visa do i have to pay the australian taxes or the US taxes and how high are the australian taxes. I will be making around 6 figures

thank you for your comments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Redondo Beach,

As a US Citizen you pay taxes on your worldwide income. You will need to check whether a double taxation agreement exists between Australia and the US otherwise you could be paying tax twice. Most countries have double taxation agreements.

Check out the Australian tax office website: Australian Taxation Office Homepage
I suggest you speak to an Accountant versed in these matters.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You do file 1040 for life. However some of your income and housing expenses are exempt. Depending on how much you write off you do not always pay tax, you would if the income is higher than the exemptions, but not if it's lower.

Start by reading Publication 54 at the IRS website.

The first tax year is really difficult because you have to do partial year tax returns for both AU and the US and do alot of fractional calculations.

It is highly recommended to get a tax agent for both sides (one AU and one US).

For my first year I used H&R Block in the US to handle my US tax return. They can do it all by mail as long as you can supply detailed documents about interest, pay stubs, W-2, etc.

The only additional form to the standard 1040 is form 2555. And there are EZ versions of those as well.

HI,
I am new to this but i have seen some vey good info, so i was wondering if anyone can help with this. I am moving from the US to sydney for 2 years on a work visa do i have to pay the australian taxes or the US taxes and how high are the australian taxes. I will be making around 6 figures

thank you for your comments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts