Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my unbridled joy of receiving a 65 € tax rebate (can't understand it - earned more in 2012 than 2011) my delight is even less bridled with the receipt of my latest pension forecast - a whopping 32€ per month should I decide to stop work in a year's time. Although this might seem a small sum it is a significant increase from the 6 € per year predicted in my initial pensions review. (Apparently the powers that be were not prepared to pay my annual allocation of 6 € on a monthly basis)

I hope this post provides a little encouragement for other expats working here.

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
Just out of curiosity, when you say your pension is now up to 32€ a month if you stop working in a year's time - would that be early retirement (i.e. before age 65 or whatever the latest "full" age of retirement is for us "close to retirees.")?

Apparently, there is (or used to be) some deal where if you continue to work (and to pay into the system) until your full retirement age, you get a "full" pension, whether or not you have your full complement of years - 40 or 42 or soon, 43. (I'm a little amazed myself, but with my latest pension estimate, the monthly amount went down quite a bit from last time.) Still, when I add it all together with my US pension funds, it should be ok.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just turned 60 - so if I understand all the bumph correctly that's what I'm due next year; should I choose. But I'm going to keep working - I enjoy teaching.

Fortunately as a civil servant made (voluntarily) redundant) after the age of 5O I was able to draw the civil service pension immediately. Enough to live on here. Still to collect my UK retirement pension at 65+.

Also received my "prime" from the Chamber of Commerce here for my teaching efforts in 2012/13 - a mighty 4€1O. Should be able to get 2 bottles of wine from that if I choose carefully.

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
Check on the website of your retirement "caisse" - if you've only just turned 60, your minimum retirement age and full retirement age may have been "adjusted" recently. (Not sure when these things kick in, but I know my birthday fell just after the last cohort that didn't have to make any changes.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Just out of curiosity, when you say your pension is now up to 32€ a month if you stop working in a year's time - would that be early retirement (i.e. before age 65 or whatever the latest "full" age of retirement is for us "close to retirees.")?

Apparently, there is (or used to be) some deal where if you continue to work (and to pay into the system) until your full retirement age, you get a "full" pension, whether or not you have your full complement of years - 40 or 42 or soon, 43. (I'm a little amazed myself, but with my latest pension estimate, the monthly amount went down quite a bit from last time.) Still, when I add it all together with my US pension funds, it should be ok.
Cheers,
Bev
Even French nationals have to pay cotisations for sufficient years to get their full pension. I have French family who spent a number of years overseas without paying cotisations here which has resulted in them having to wait until they are 70 so that their pension will be sufficient for their basic requirements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.