Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a resident in France since three years. My spouse (french national) and I are going to be filing for divorce in the near future. After getting documentation ready for administrative work, I've noticed that he had not changed his marital status on his tax documentation. I need to make sure everything is order before I change my visa status and I'm in the process of getting an appointment at the local tax office to fix his mistake.

Is there anyone who has experienced amending taxes in France? How did it go for you? Is there anything information/tips that could help me before going to the appointment?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have had dealings with the tax people in the past but not about divorce, and I have been divorced from my French husband but there were no tax problems involved.

So although I don't have first hand experience of your problems, I just wanted to say that I have always found the tax people very helpful and understanding, and willing to help sort out any problems. Take along all the usual documents: mariage certificate, livret de famille, tax returns etc.

As for divorce, it all went fairly smoothly for us and I hope it will be the same for you.

Good luck in your new life.

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
If you haven't yet filed for divorce, actually, if you aren't yet divorced I don't think he can change his status in any event. If you have a court order of separation, then you each file separately even if you are still legally considered as married. But I guess the tax office will explain how that works. (I only know this second hand from seeing other folks and how things went for them.)

Or has he been filing as though he were still single even though you were married? That may open up a completely different can of worms. But again, see what the tax office can tell you. They're usually quite good to deal with - especially if you approach them well before the tax "busy season" around April and May.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the second version, he has been filing as single while married. I don't have much worries for afterwards, those issues are a bit more straightforward to manage. Thanks for your response! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your support and best wishes! I'm happy to hear you've had a good experience with the people you worked with. I hope it will be the same for me. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts