Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question. If not, could someone kindly refer me to an appropriate page/site.

I have been an Australian citizen since 1993 and am getting close to retirement age. Once I retire, my wife and I plan to spend a couple of years globetrotting. We intend to finance this by renting out our apartment in Brisbane for the duration of our duration overseas. My question is this: Are there any tax implications and or restrictions for doing this and is there a time limit for how long one can remain overseas while renting out one's apartment.

Would greatly appreciate any advice or pointers in the right direction.

Thanks

John

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
You'll have to claim your rental income on your Australian tax returns and you may owe tax. There may also be tax implications if you are a resident of another country. Have you talked to an accountant?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question. If not, could someone kindly refer me to an appropriate page/site.

I have been an Australian citizen since 1993 and am getting close to retirement age. Once I retire, my wife and I plan to spend a couple of years globetrotting. We intend to finance this by renting out our apartment in Brisbane for the duration of our duration overseas. My question is this: Are there any tax implications and or restrictions for doing this and is there a time limit for how long one can remain overseas while renting out one's apartment.

Would greatly appreciate any advice or pointers in the right direction.

Thanks

John
Oh no I hate taxes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts