Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think apart from finding somewhere to live tax and healthcare will determine where we end up. We have never been to Portugal but have heard a lot of good stuff including financial benefits as in ten year tax holiday and enrolment into their healthcare system. We love Spain and the Spanish people, what we have experienced so far, which is from holidays and reading lots on here so Spain is still top of our list. I know holidays are different to living in a place.

Concerns about Spain include as I said the tax, I will retire.on a reasonable/modest pension which is enough for our needs and intend to purchase from the sale of our house an apartment here and a townhouse or the like in Spain which will use lump.sum up. We will also rent the apartment out here. I want to pay my taxes annually in Spain but don't want to get clobbered on the sale of our house this year probably and my tax free pension lump sum next March.

This now might mean we may have to go to Portugal first to rent for a few months and then on to Spain if we didn't fall in love with Portugal.

When would be the best time financially to make the move to Spain considering dates and tax. It is complicated to me so I hope it makes sense to you. Or if we wanted to go direct to Spain from here which I think is my wife's preference, would we have to wait until Jan 2017, confused.com

Thanks

Roy

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Roy to avoid becoming tax resident you're best trying to time your arrival in Spain after early July.
Easier said than done as selling up at home makes getting there at less than 183 days remaining , quite difficult.

We are thinking along same lines- possibly using a third country betwixt home and Spain to kill off the qualifying period whereby they could claw back CGT on UK home sale

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Roy to avoid becoming tax resident you're best trying to time your arrival in Spain after early July.
Easier said than done as selling up at home makes getting there at less than 183 days remaining , quite difficult.

We are thinking along same lines- possibly using a third country betwixt home and Spain to kill off the qualifying period whereby they could claw back CGT on UK home sale
After the Very long thread we had on this subject, wasn't it the conclusion that it's best to come the year after any house sale or receipt of lump sums, as the Hacienda might determine that you intend to live in Spain permanently, therefore making you tax resident from day 1?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
To be ultra safe yes you are correct- stop off in another country (or rent for a while post sale at home) before starting fresh year in Spain to be certain they don't get you for CGT on your sale of house at home

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I'm guessing, that being the case, move over in Jan 2017 and Portugal before thst?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well we are thinking put house up for sale Spring, HOPEFULLY sell by Autumn, then finish year here / 3 rd country and after that hit Spain early New Year.

Its bloody difficult to get the timing right as god knows how long house will take to sell. Est agents have told us currently it's averaging around 6 months but its really impossible to tell

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We should sell within a few months judging by the market around here. Move into the apartment until we move over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts