Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After many hours trawling the web and the IRS websites I think I'm nearly understanding the tax implications of moving abroad, but I'm a little confused, and would love to know if anyone has been in my situation before.

I'm a UK citizen, currently residing in NYC on a H-1B visa. My visa started October 2011, and I entered the country on the 23rd September, 2011. This means that I haven't passed the Substational Presence Test (183days, ish) but I will do relatively soon (it already feels like I've been here forever)

Now, I believe that I could file as a Dual Citizen as my status will change from a Non-Resident Alien to an Alien sometime in the next few months. This would mean that I have to file a 1040NR-EZ. Or could I extend my tax using a Form 4868?

Using Turbo Tax very simply it looks like from Oct-December I should be due approximately $900 back from Federal taxes and $500 from NY State taxes. However, working out the return on the 1040NR-EZ it suggests I'm only eligible for $600ish.

I know I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and visit a tax accountant (or even just a H&R block!) but if anyone on here has been through this process, I would much value your experience, feedback and advice!

Ben :)
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.