Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was hoping someone may help me. I am
Immigrating to oz on a 176 visa and will need to apply for a tax file number so I hopefully get work quicker in Australia. Can someone tell me if I need an ABN number too?

Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You don't need to get a TFN in order to get a job, they'll request this information when you are organising your payroll.

Are you planning to operate as a consultant or contractor? In which case an ABN is not necessary, it would be easier and cheaper for you to do this through an outsourced payroll company if necessary as you don't yet understand tax liabilities in Australia.

Either way, it's very easy to get a TFN. Go to the ATO website and it will guide you through... oh and if you are living in Australia for more than 6 months or intending to: You are a 'Resident for Tax Purposes' - Don't get slammed with the top rate 'non-resident' tax.

ABN you can't apply for until you have a TFN to link it...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shepz said:
You don't need to get a TFN in order to get a job, they'll request this information when you are organising your payroll.

Are you planning to operate as a consultant or contractor? In which case an ABN is not necessary, it would be easier and cheaper for you to do this through an outsourced payroll company if necessary as you don't yet understand tax liabilities in Australia.

Either way, it's very easy to get a TFN. Go to the ATO website and it will guide you through... oh and if you are living in Australia for more than 6 months or intending to: You are a 'Resident for Tax Purposes' - Don't get slammed with the top rate 'non-resident' tax.

ABN you can't apply for until you have a TFN to link it...
Thanks shepz.

My friend advised that we need an ABN number which I was not aware of. We are looking for permanent jobs so no we do not intend to work as a consultant or contractor so we don't need an ABN?

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi I was hoping someone may help me. I am
Immigrating to oz on a 176 visa and will need to apply for a tax file number so I hopefully get work quicker in Australia. Can someone tell me if I need an ABN number too?

Thank you.

Ok, so if you don't have intention to work as a consultant or sole-trader then you don't need an ABN number. Also, if I were you I'd rather apply for the TFN number on my own rather than relying on your potential employer for the same.

It's very easy to apply for TFN number (copy and paste) the following link iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1

PS. I never heard that the employer can actually apply for the TFN on your behalf, at the end you will end up doing it by yourself which will only waste your time. So I'd rather suggest you to apply for one as soon as you arrive here in Australia.

All the best!
R

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.