Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Post.

just wondering if anyone has any information, i arrived in australia on WHV (in 2011) since then I married my wife (australian who i met in UK) and our partner visa was approved in May this year (about 9 months processing time), at the moment i am on the temporary resident part of the visa (step before it becomes permanent residency).

i currently have a non resident number from my WHV. My question is do i need to change my tax file number or do i keep my number and it becomes a resident number?

I only ask as we are expecting in January and i dont want to be taxed more money than i should because of something like having the wrong TFN status

G

·
You only get one TFN just like a NIN and all but non residents pay the same rates of tax based on how much they earn.

·
Registered
124 Posts
First Post.

just wondering if anyone has any information, i arrived in australia on WHV (in 2011) since then I married my wife (australian who i met in UK) and our partner visa was approved in May this year (about 9 months processing time), at the moment i am on the temporary resident part of the visa (step before it becomes permanent residency).

i currently have a non resident number from my WHV. My question is do i need to change my tax file number or do i keep my number and it becomes a resident number?

I only ask as we are expecting in January and i dont want to be taxed more money than i should because of something like having the wrong TFN status
TFN does not come with any residency status mapped to it. Don't worry, you will continue to keep your TFN number in australia, no matter what your residency status is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts