Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I haven't found similar qustion on the forum so I hope it's not a duplicate.

I found a flat in France but the landlord doesn't want to sign a contract. It's ok for me. He is very nice guy, there're other people living and have a good opinions about him and about the house in general so I'm not afraid that he would tell me to leave the house the very next day or anything like this.

Problem is, because of no contract I wouldn't pay tax de habitation. Also, address of this house I would point as my address when filling the form for the French Card.

The question is, can I have problems because of it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
if you are paying rent, then you should have a contract.
In most of the governmental applications you will be asked a proof of residence which is mainly the contract and they would ask for the last 3 rent slips as well.

the other way would be that he gives you an attestation that he is 'hosting' you... but this will mean you are staying with him not renting from him...

I would advise to play it officially and insist on having legitimate situation/documents... my 2 cents after a couple of years in France !

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
On your tax declaration you will need to fill in information about your address and when you moved there - this information is usually used for the taxe d'hab. You really should have a contract or you will have no rights and you will definitely need one for all sorts of administrative matters (unless you have an attestation d'hebergement, which would suffice).

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
As Mohsel says, I would be very careful with this one. It sounds as if the "landlord" is just renting out rooms in his house and doesn't want to go through the "official" process. OK, if he's not declaring the rents on his taxes, that's his business. But if you're planning on working in France, you'll be filing taxes and that is the process that gets you onto the Taxe d'habitation listing.

There is also the ever-necessary thing about "proving" your residence in France. Necessary to enroll in just about any sort of administrative system or benefit. (I've had considerable problems with this over the years, because the house I live in is in my husband's name, as were all the utilities normally accepted as "proof of residence." We've resolved the issue now, but it is surprising how often it is necessary to prove your residence, especially as a foreigner here in France.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds as if the "landlord" is just renting out rooms in his house and doesn't want to go through the "official" process. OK, if he's not declaring the rents on his taxes, that's his business.
Bev
Excactly how it works and what I think about it in his case.

Thanks for your answer : )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts