Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My wife and I have been living in London for almost 2 years, and we'd like to know if anyone has a recommendation about getting some help on our US taxes. Last year, we asked a tax consultant from the US to help, since we had US & UK income last year. This year, we only have primarily UK income, so we're hoping our tax situation will be easier this year.

I looked at the Web site for the US Embassy in London, the main Web site for the IRS, and about an hour searching on the Web. I have found some useful documents, but overall, I'm still interested in seeing if anyone can recommend a US tax consultant in London.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Steven

·
Administrator
51,378 Posts
You may want to try contacting some of the US expat groups in and around London. Many of them include a couple of tax attorneys in their membership. For a somewhat less expensive option, you may want to try an enrolled agent rather than a tax attorney or accountant. Check the naea website here for more information: NAEA : Home page

To find someone, click on "Find an enrolled agent" on the left side of the screen, and then select the country (UK) - it should give you a list of who is available in the country.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm in somewhat the same boat. I called the IRS back home and found out which form I, personally, need to file. It looks like I'll have to wait for the next filing year to apply for bona fide residence credit.....

However, I still need to find out what form I need to fill out to file my STATE taxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
51,378 Posts
I'm in somewhat the same boat. I called the IRS back home and found out which form I, personally, need to file. It looks like I'll have to wait for the next filing year to apply for bona fide residence credit.....

However, I still need to find out what form I need to fill out to file my STATE taxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you've moved over to the UK and expect to qualify under either the bona fide resident or the physical presence test, the usual drill is to file for an extension for the due date until such time as you will have filled the requirement (i.e. 12 months' residence abroad).

For your state forms, it works just like if you had moved from one state to another. If you moved to the UK during 2009, you file a part-year resident form for earnings up to the date when you left the state. If you are maintaining your residence in the state for some reason, you may have to file a normal state resident return - but just owning property in the state doesn't make you a resident.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.