Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Someday you'll be old and fat. Remember that the next time you get a tattoo. Is there anything as unsightly as a blurry thirty year old tattoo?

That aside there are no legal places to get a tattoo in the UAE. But there are apparently Filipinos who run a few illegal tattoo outfits.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Someday you'll be old and fat. Remember that the next time you get a tattoo. Is there anything as unsightly as a blurry thirty year old tattoo?
If I get old and my biggest worry is an unsightly tattoo rather than prostate cancer, angina, a hip replacement, alzheimers, going blind, deaf or simply not having to get up 3 times through the night to go pee - then I've done alright.

To the OP, there are some scratchers knocking around, I wouldn't bother though.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Actually there are two or three AMAZING tattoo artists here! They do brilliant work. BUT people won't give you details on an open forum, as tattooing is illegal here - their details get passed on by word of mouth and they will only accept clients recommended by known clients. I will send you a PM of one you might like to check out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I didn't know that they are illegal in Dubai, and what concerns me most about this is that how well the tattoo artists will be sterilizing their stuff. Transmission of diseases is very high is not sterilized properly.
Just sayin

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I didn't know that they are illegal in Dubai, and what concerns me most about this is that how well the tattoo artists will be sterilizing their stuff. Transmission of diseases is very high is not sterilized properly.
Just sayin
The reputable guys have all worked in tattoo parlours abroad and they all have autoclaves to sterilize their equipment. The guy I go to shows you all the needles etc all new in steri-packs, and it all gets chucked away once he's finished. You don't reuse needles, you use new ones every time.

There are a lot of dodgy people operating here, which is why the people I know getting work done only use two specific guys, as they're well known and trusted.

Heck, beauty salons here offer 'permanent make-up' - having your eyeliners / lipliner tattooed on - it's no different.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
So? That's like saying if I only have to worry about baldness then I've done well. It still doesn't obscure the point that tattoos on old people are ugly as ****e and what may be cool when you're young turns into a blurry ugly and faded blotch on nasty wrinkled skin someday. Just look at the haggard 50 year old Aussies and their tattoos.

Having watched too many people get tattoos and come to openly regret it I'm still surprised at how many lemmings still head for the tattoo parlours as a rite of passage. A fad today is always regretted tomorrow.

If I get old and my biggest worry is an unsightly tattoo rather than prostate cancer, angina, a hip replacement, alzheimers, going blind, deaf or simply not having to get up 3 times through the night to go pee - then I've done alright.

To the OP, there are some scratchers knocking around, I wouldn't bother though.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
So? That's like saying if I only have to worry about baldness then I've done well. It still doesn't obscure the point that tattoos on old people are ugly as ****e and what may be cool when you're young turns into a blurry ugly and faded blotch on nasty wrinkled skin someday. Just look at the haggard 50 year old Aussies and their tattoos.

Having watched too many people get tattoos and come to openly regret it I'm still surprised at how many lemmings still head for the tattoo parlours as a rite of passage. A fad today is always regretted tomorrow.
How on earth do you walk.....with that stick in your b*m? :D

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
TallyHo, with all due respect, that's your opinion - and quite an aggressively put forward one at that.

I have two, both in places where they are only on show if I want them to be and both mean something to me and were done for specific reasons. Sure, many people do them as a spur of the moment thing and regret it later. But many people also think long and hard about getting one done and have it for a specific reason.

The inks are so good these days, they don't fade like they used to.

People don't need to be so precious about their looks. I'd rather go to my grave looking like I damn well lived life.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Never been tempted.
There are two that I would get, though.

Olympic Rings ( if I ever get to the Olympics) - well that's not going to happen
Iron Man tattoo (if I complete one) might happen! Have done a half... A full one would likely kill me before the unsterilised needle gets a chance!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
At one point in my life, I will get the names of everyone in our family inked on my arm or chest or somewhere similar in sanskrit, but whenever that happens it would be in India or Colombo...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - when it comes to tattoos, everyone seems to have an opinion one way or another.

As I have a few tattoos, it is down to personal choice. Todays inks and modern equipment means that there is less 'ink-spread' which made old tattoos go fuzzy and blurred. Today lines remain crisp for longer and colors brighter. That been said if you live to 100 then yes your tattoos will fade.

Sailor Jerry a well known old school artist commented regarding his tattoos and old age. Be warned it contains strong language but sums up my feelings....

What are you going to do about your tattoos when you're older?! - Imgur

·
Registered
92 Posts
TallyHo, with all due respect, that's your opinion - and quite an aggressively put forward one at that.

I have two, both in places where they are only on show if I want them to be and both mean something to me and were done for specific reasons. Sure, many people do them as a spur of the moment thing and regret it later. But many people also think long and hard about getting one done and have it for a specific reason.

The inks are so good these days, they don't fade like they used to.

People don't need to be so precious about their looks. I'd rather go to my grave looking like I damn well lived life.
Removal is also possible now, and whilst not the most comfortable thing in the world and costs a fortune, does mean it isn't permanent.

On a completely unrelated note, I can recommend a good tattoo removal clinic in Dubai... :eek:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Removal is also possible now, and whilst not the most comfortable thing in the world and costs a fortune, does mean it isn't permanent.

On a completely unrelated note, I can recommend a good tattoo removal clinic in Dubai... :eek:
Tattoo removal doesn't always go completely though. The lines are very often still visible as a white outline and if you tan they become more prominent.

If people want a tattoo on a temporary basis - then you can do it the cosmetic make-up way and have temporary ones done, with ink that lasts around 4 years before it fades.

·
Registered
479 Posts

I'm just trying to work out if I'm a lemming or if in 8 years I shall be that haggard 50 year old Aussie? :whoo:

If the 'fad' isn't hurting anyone then let it be!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
To add to the debate, I think it's essential to realize why people are getting the tattoo...

I mean if one is getting something to be fashionable / show off a rebellious streak/ be 'modern' etc, then yes given time they might regret getting ink'd. But if someone is going under the needle for memorial/emotional/personal reasons, they usually won't care what the tattoo looks like down the road. Even if it fades or morphs, it will still remind them of what they want it to remind them of ...

·
Registered
831 Posts

Well having grown up in a fishing town tattoos and earrings were the norm amongst the old men and of course the young. Don't agree that they look ****e and they weren't blurred and faded?

Personally no tattoos or putt clings but that is because involve needles! Plus I wasn't a fisherman.

Now I am a bit wrinkled maybe I should go get a tattoo!

Ear rings were a bit like wedding rings, 1 for single and 2 for married, bit safer on a fishing boat than actual rings.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - when it comes to tattoos, everyone seems to have an opinion one way or another.

As I have a few tattoos, it is down to personal choice. Todays inks and modern equipment means that there is less 'ink-spread' which made old tattoos go fuzzy and blurred. Today lines remain crisp for longer and colors brighter. That been said if you live to 100 then yes your tattoos will fade.

Sailor Jerry a well known old school artist commented regarding his tattoos and old age. Be warned it contains strong language but sums up my feelings....

What are you going to do about your tattoos when you're older?! - Imgur
I thought Sailor Jerry was a rum!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts