Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are trying to target an approximate arrival date to the UK to try and align with school year times. Kids and selling stuff complicates things!

Applying in sydney, Australia so the website indicates that there is generally quick processing times.

What kind of timeframe should I be applying in? I assume applying too far in advance stuffs up renewing times and aligning with getting indefinite leave to remain in the future.

Also, to help smooth the move and better plan leaving dates, is it an idea to plan on me going to the UK straight away on a return flight (for a couple of weeks )after the visa is approved to get the biometric card and entry stamp (so no actual date planned on flying, just based on whenever the visa is issued) and then coming back to Aus to help pack/sell and then flying back with the wife and kids at a predetermined /booked day/ that you have planned in advance say a month or two later?

Or is it a case of applying, getting the visa and then mad panic sell everything/box it up/ship it and grab next flight out of here without any pre advanced booking?

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
You can apply no more than 3 months before your intended travel date. Presumably, if you put a date 3 months away they will honour that and then you will have 30 days from that date to fly to the UK and pick up your BRP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can apply no more than 3 months before your intended travel date. Presumably, if you put a date 3 months away they will honour that and then you will have 30 days from that date to fly to the UK and pick up your BRP.
Hi - just to bump this question -

has anyone had any recent experience with applying a couple of months early and putting a travel date, and getting the 30 stamp to cover the travel date indicated in the submitted itinerary? Is it based on the itinerary date of the date of the approval?

For example - I am intending to travel 1st March and will be submitting an itinerary indicating this - but to cover myself I am thinking of applying 1st January and booking the appointment as close to then (in Sydney, Australia). Say they process the application quickly (website indicates 84% are done within 15 days - I know it is not a guarantee), that puts it mid January.
If the 30 days is given from time of approval, that's mid February to get there, missing by submitted itinerary.

If the 30 days is given based on the submitted itinerary then it's all fine.

Thanks
Wade

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
30 days including your expected travel date if it's within 3 months of online application. But recent examples show that the 30 days may END on your travel date instead of starting on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
30 days including your expected travel date if it's within 3 months of online application. But recent examples show that the 30 days may END on your travel date instead of starting on it.
I hope they take into account it takes a day to get there from Australia!
thanks for the advice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.