Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I will be moving to Egypt next year (July/August) and am planning to freelance as a designer/developer over the internet using freelance sites. I have a general question about how much I realistically need to earn to live comfortably. I have read some posts that suggest about £3000EGP is a good wage for locals. This works out about £300GBP. I know there are a lot of price differences in living expenses but I want to know if I should aim to be getting much more than this to be able to live well and maybe even make some savings.

I would ideally like to be able to go out and do things, take trips to Sharm (Diving), back to Europe (Skiing) and other places around Egypt such as Alexandra. I also would like to go out and about in Cairo, buy clothes, dvds, and bits of tech etc. I have been to Cairo before so I'm aware that international brands are approx the same price as the UK, but it's the other living aspects i'm not 100% on. To me £300GBP sounds way to low, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully you guys can point me in roughly the right direction. Any info you need just ask :)

Thanks,

Carl

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum

The minimum wage here is now 700le and they are demonstrating/striking for it to be raised to 1700...

Quite simply earning a local wage means you will not be able to do any of the things that you want, would you really want to move overseas and lower your standard of living?

Maiden

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Hi,

I will be moving to Egypt next year (July/August) and am planning to freelance as a designer/developer over the internet using freelance sites. I have a general question about how much I realistically need to earn to live comfortably. I have read some posts that suggest about £3000EGP is a good wage for locals. This works out about £300GBP. I know there are a lot of price differences in living expenses but I want to know if I should aim to be getting much more than this to be able to live well and maybe even make some savings.

I would ideally like to be able to go out and do things, take trips to Sharm (Diving), back to Europe (Skiing) and other places around Egypt such as Alexandra. I also would like to go out and about in Cairo, buy clothes, dvds, and bits of tech etc. I have been to Cairo before so I'm aware that international brands are approx the same price as the UK, but it's the other living aspects i'm not 100% on. To me £300GBP sounds way to low, but I could be wrong.

Hi...and welcome to the forum.
Personally i would think that 3000Le is not enough to give you the life style you seem to want...assuming that you are talking about per month !! That will probably just about cover the cost of your rent.Hopefully some of the other forum members who live in Cairo will be able to give you a more realistic idea of what you will require to give you a reasonable lifestyle.:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi,

Hopefully you guys can point me in roughly the right direction. Any info you need just ask :)

Thanks,

Carl
Hi Carl,

Welcome. It may be stating the obvious, but your living costs will be entirely dependent upon your chosen life style. If you wish to live like a middle class Egyptian then LE 3,000 will be adequate, however, the closer you get to a European /Expatriate way of life the more you will need to spend. I would take issue with your contention that international brands are about the same cost wise, certainly not as regards foodstuff, and the difference will probably increase further since they are looking at increasing import duties on what are deemed to be luxurious items, however most of these things are discretionary, and there is often a perfectly adequate locally produced alternative.

The costs of the major items such as accommodation, transport etc are very variable, but I would think that to live the lifestyle that you aspire to you would need an income of at least $3,500 possibly $4,000.

To be honest, you won't really know until you do it, but do not let that put you off from giving it a go.

Best of luck

·
Registered
679 Posts
Carl,

It depends on lifestyle off course, but I would not stay for all the money in China in a Cairo (I assume furnished) apartment of 3,000Le. That does not mean that I am relating your needs to what I pay for my apartment as a yardstick, but from what you say you are an average normal Englishman, which I am o/k with, Lol, but that means you need a minimum income of about $3000 to 3500 US dollars per month, and even then you may not be able to do everything you want to in the time you would want to do it! Also make sure the work is available, I an not sure it is.:ranger:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Carl,

It depends on lifestyle off course, but I would not stay for all the money in China in a Cairo (I assume furnished) apartment of 3,000Le. That does not mean that I am relating your needs to what I pay for my apartment as a yardstick, but from what you say you are an average normal Englishman, which I am o/k with, Lol, but that means you need a minimum income of about $3000 to 3500 US dollars per month, and even then you may not be able to do everything you want to in the time you would want to do it! Also make sure the work is available, I an not sure it is.:ranger:
Good point, there will be work but also plenty of competent competition.

"Average normal Englishman" What's one of those?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Forget $3,000 - not enough!!

You will need at least 3,000 sterling to come close to the way you seem to want to live!
Food - unless you wish to eat like the average EGyptian - foul, tamiyah, kushary, lots of eggs and aish (bread) then you will spend more - brands that you like at home are very much more expensive!

Electronic / electricals - alot are proboaly more expensive and of an inferior quality.

Cars - if you decide to purchase one are extraordinarily more expensive than the UK - the amount of tax they levy on them is punishing.

House - you can get housing from as cheap as you want to as much as you want to pay - but it is all about the area they are in - and I am sure that the cheaper places will not suit you - but to find 1/2 bedrooms nice area maybe furnished - is more than you think!

Clothes - international brands (next, gap, m&s, etc.) - unbelievably more expensive (Next is double the price than in the UK - you know because they like to insult your intelligence by not removing the UK prices from the tags) - bring them with you!

DVD's, books, etc. - again Wow - expensive.

ANd to make savings with all the travelling that you seem to wish to do whilst you are living here - even 3,000 sterling may not be enough!!

But again it all depends on how you wish to live whilst you are here!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Good point, there will be work but also plenty of competent competition.

"Average normal Englishman" What's one of those?
He, he, well, those not too superior representatives of the "empire" who at least dont tattoo their favourite soccer (football) clubs name on their you know what, and knows that some of their best cricket players comes from the southern hemisfere...:D

·
Registered
754 Posts
3000 LE is not nearly enough to do/have/see the things/places you would like.

20 LE for a kilo of plums
5 LE for a kilo of tomatoes
70+ LE for a kilo of beef
38 LE for a jar of that crappy Nescafe instant coffee
1 LE for two pieces of bread

No, 3000 LE will give you a fuul and falafel lifestyle, considering rent, utilities, mobile service, etc.

Then there's always the "foreigners pay more" attitude. With that, you can expect a 0 to be added to the price an Egyptian would pay.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts

No, 3000 LE will give you a fuul and falafel lifestyle, considering rent, utilities, mobile service, etc.

Then there's always the "foreigners pay more" attitude. With that, you can expect a 0 to be added to the price an Egyptian would pay.

I actually bought tomatoes this morning.. something I never buy.. I paid 9le a kilo in Zamalek,

·
Registered
14,309 Posts

and we are talking crappy beef.. I never buy meat as looking at it hanging outside the shop covered in flies is enough to put me off beef for life,

·
Registered
754 Posts
I actually bought tomatoes this morning.. something I never buy.. I paid 9le a kilo in Zamalek,
Must be the added cost of getting them over to the island and nothing to do with you being foreign.

I've seen tomatoes in the souk for 1 LE/kilo, but they were so nasty I don't see how they could be edible.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts