Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour, it's been a while since I posted here. I lived in France under a student visa in 2012 when completing a phd. Well now I've finished and myself and my partner are hoping to return to France. I am considering applying for a Talents et Competences visa, for a couple of reasons: I have a phd that should help me meet the highly qualified requirement but also I have been an editor, book author for two decades and have an established editing business. While I'm based in Australia, I earn income from the US. And while I have a company here in Australia I could simply redirect the income to France as personal services income and I would not be looking at setting up a company in France immediately at least. My project for this type of visa involves setting up publishing activity that complements my phd topic area. At the same time I'd like the opportunity to work in France on university projects from time to time.

However info on various consulate websites seems to be a little ambiguous. I am not sure whether I need a CERFA form and a Tax Clearance from the French Inland Revenue service.

Does anyone have experience with such applications - when the intention is to be essentially running a commercial business in France (although my revenue won't derive from France)? And/or is it possible to get a tax clearance from the French Revenue Inland service online?

(no idea why they make it so hard for skilled professionals bring money INTO France but anyway)

·
Administrator
49,870 Posts
It does not matter where your revenue is coming from. The fact of your being resident in France while you are doing whatever it is to earn that revenue is what is relevant - and what makes the income subject to French income taxation (and potentially subject to French VAT).

On a talents et competences visa, they're going to be looking for you to have a "project" of some sort, which offers some possible benefit to France or to the relationship between France and your home country. This very often involves setting up some sort of business entity - even if only an AE (auto-entrepreneur).

And a bit of terminology here: CERFA is the company/entity that prints virtually all of the government forms, including the vanilla "apply for a visa" form. I've never heard of a "tax clearance" form - if you're referring to a form verifying that you're not subject to VAT, that depends on the level of revenues you will be generating while living here.

To operate a foreign business here, you will have to set up some sort of an entity - a branch or something - which will include registering with the various tax authorities here, for income taxes, payroll taxes (i.e. cotisations) and whatever other registrations there are. You can check the website of any of the departemental Chambres de Commerce for information about setting up a business in the respective departement. For the talents et competences visa they may expect your project to have taken the various registrations and set-ups into account.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev, thanks heaps for your reply. The local consulate here advises on its website that if you are setting up a business in France and you have lived there previously you need a "Tax Clearance" from the French Inland Revenue - presumably to show you don't owe them money. I'd assume they have access to that sort of data anyway. But for the Talents et Competences they don't ask for this. So I'll apply for the latter, which is probably most appropriate. It sounds like perhaps I will apply anyway - without the mysterious tax clearance - and if they ask for it, well, I'll try and source it then. Thanks again - and you still very much have a great site too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts