Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Taking the P**s

6K views 48 replies 13 participants last post by  John999 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All

I mentioned once to often about security and my use of the Ubuntu system. The figures below show a decline in the last three years on Windows systems and the Mac system the one becoming more popular is The Linux systems.

Windows 92.03%
Macs 7.52%
Linux 0.40%

Windows 91.53%
Macs 6.79%
Linux 1.60%

Windows 89.76%
Macs 6.64%
Linus 3.56%

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All

I mentioned once to often about security and my use of the Ubuntu system. Simon even laughed at the percentage use in the 2009 figures for use on his Forum. The figures below show a decline in the last three years on Windows systems and the Mac system the one becoming more popular is The Linux systems.

Windows 92.03%
Macs 7.52%
Linux 0.40%

Windows 91.53%
Macs 6.79%
Linux 1.60%

Windows 89.76%
Macs 6.64%
Linus 3.56%

Peter, Why bring a problem you have had elsewhere onto this forum???

#3 ·
For some reason I believe that Simon will also be on this forum. Siobhanwf, why you so judgmental? He is proving a point, and the point is; windows has lost 2.5% of the market between 2007 and 2009, Macs lost around 12% and Linux has grown over 900% at the same time. Business wise this shows a massive increase from Linux.
:)

#8 ·
John I am NOT being judgmental. You will see that the original mention of another forum has been removed from the original post. Perhaps this proves my point.

As for the statistics on windows etc.... GREAT. Usse what you fell comfortable with.

#5 ·

Hi Peter,

As the amount of Linux users increases, so will the attempts to breach its security one way or another..
Are you a Linux salesman? You don't half go on about it a lot.
Hi Mitz

Today i was on a Forum for the over 50's and on that site is a Technology section. I found on this section a vast amount of problems all that if the owners had been running Linux there problem would not exist. Every piece of pond life wants to steal from your computer. Why start on Linux when windooz make it so easy for every hacker on the planet to make a good living stealing from you. I use Linux and i feel safe.

I have no antivirus software running as Ubuntu Linux has a built in firewall. I have no spyware/ malware software running. As time goes by the spammers and virus brigade will start to target Linux. In fact there has been an attempt where someone found a way to hide a virus in a screensaver.

Peter

#7 ·

Hi Miguel

You are right as you say about companies the Microsoft just buys up companies or develops and alternative program. Compare Microsoft Office cost hundreds of £'s Open Office does the same job but the cost is Free. media player comes with windooz Realplayer is free. Adobe Photoshop cost many hunderds of euro's Gimp "Graphical Image Manipulation Program" windooz can't buy up everything. Gimp and openoffice both run on windooz as does Realplayer.

There is every reason to use Ubutnu but it takes a little to get used to it. Mainly because users keep remembering what they did on windooz. When you can forget the time you used windooz you find that you just do what you need to Ubuntu is so easy to use.

Peter

#9 ·
Taking the Pi**

Good for you Peter! You have every right to free speech and we aren't afraid to say it, the chap who runs the other forum is a bully and only likes his cronies around him and if you don't agree with him you get banned, someone else we know has today been banned for no reason whatsoever!

In this day and age of pc hacking and spam etc it is very interesting to learn of the alternatives to protect yourselves. Peter seems to speak as he finds which is refreshing in this age of the pc brigade! This is a much better forum so please don't let it deteroiate like the other has into a dictatorship with people being afraid to speak! Free speech rules....:boxing:

#16 ·
There's a nice primer on ideas here: Linux is NOT Windows

It's a little dated since someone loading, say OpenSuse with a KDE desktop on newish hardware could almost be forgiven for thinking they weren't in Windows. But at least it will make your expectations realistic and show you there is a learning curve.

#19 ·
So stick with it.

Not like you don't unwittingly use GNU/Linux everyday, anyway.

#23 ·
The expensive end of the *nix family. But a *nix all the same!

#25 ·
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware"
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny"
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Simple Simon went a-fishing for to catch a whale;
All the water he had got was in his mother's pail.
Simple Simon went to look if plums grew on a thistle;
He pricked his fingers very much which made poor Simon whistle.
He went for water in a sieve but soon it all fell through;
And now poor Simple Simon bids you all "Adieu"

#31 ·

:p
Have you moved over yet Pete, or are you still dodging about in Liverpool ?
:D
Hi Mr Blueskies

No not moved yet, Promissory Signed.

Business premises sold:):) Business three offers, Divorce soon i hope, Waiting for an offer on Gwladys street house.

Peter is having a holiday end of August, it's going to be a touring holiday starting from Porto then down to the Sliver Coast then on to sunny Tomar " Superbock in the fridge " then on down to Lagos. So watch out for the " Peterfc " World tour of Portugal coming in 2010. If the men's club meetings are still going strong " I am sure they will be " then i could make an appearance.

Peterfc

#33 ·
I'd like to play a game,
That is so much fun,
And it's not so very hard to do,
The name of the game is Simple Simon says,
And I would like for you to play it to,
Put your hands in the air,
Simple Simon says,
Shake them all about,
Simple Simon says,
Do it when Simon says,
Simple Simon says,
And you will never be out.
Simple Simon says,
Put your hands on your head,
Let your back bone stretch,
Simon says,
Simple simon says,
Let your back bone stiff,
Simon says,
Simple Simon says,
Bring them down by your side,
Simple Simon says,
Shake them to your left,
Simple Simon Says,
Now shake them to your right,
Simple Simon says,
Bring them down by your side,
Simple Simon says,
Shake them to your left,
Simple Simon Says,
Now shake them to your right,
Now that you have learnt,
To play this game with me,
You can see its not so hard to do,
Lets try it once again,
This time more carefully,
And I hope the winner will be you.
Clap your hands in the air,
Simple Simon says,
Do it double time,
Simple Simon says,
Slow it down like before,
Simple Simon says,
Ah, your looking fine.
Simple Simon says,
Now clap them high in the air,
Simple Simon says,
Do it double time,
Simple Simon says,
Slow it down like before,
Simple Simon says,
Ah, your looking fine.

:confused2:

#34 ·
I'd like to play a game,

Simple Simon says,

BANNED

Simple Simon says,

:confused2:
Hi Mr Blueskies

At least we can have all the fun we like here so long as we do not offend anybody. We are not offending anybody are we?

:banplease::banplease::banplease:

Peter

#38 ·

:confused:

They might think that ya want to be banned on here Pete, if ya keep waving signs like that about ?

:D
Hi Mr Blueskies

Mr Derek has just been filming for the telly. While he is in a good mood with two hours of fame not the usual 15 minuets maybe i should ask him if i have gone to far and maybe i should be more careful. Maybe not i have not been bad. :sorry:

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.