Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently down at our place in Tarn et Garonne preparing it for summer guests.we have driven down in at transit type van which will be returning home empty( apart from wine):rolleyes:
Back in the UK we have a woodburner, which we always have trouble finding good well seasoned hardwood for. Most suppliers claim it to be seasoned 2 years plus but in reality this is not the case.
We want to get a few cubic metres of good french oak down here and take it back with us.
Can we do this? Is there a problem due to possible termites or whatever?
Would be grateful if someone could advise.cheers

·
Registered
526 Posts
Burning oak is a waste and ecologically unsound.
It may be so, but around here it is the only firewood you can buy!
Our neighbours lost 3 ancient oak trees in the storm in October (torn out by the roots); they had no opinion, they just wanted them clearing. I was devastated and my husband ecstatic as they gave us the wood! 3 trees and 3 different opinions!

Personally, I wouldn't; we have a Longhorn House Beetle that hides in the wood; its larvae cause enormous damage to anything wooden in the house, including the structure, unless every millimetre is thoroughly treated. It is not very common in the UK, so properties and furniture are not protected. It is not too long ago that it was a Legally Notifiable Insect in the UK!

I would take more wine (cashew nuts also have a good margin), sell it and use the profits to buy good quality hornbeam in the UK!

Gypsycob x

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi Gypsy
Your comment makes me think that there may be a customs/quarantine issue if seeking to take firewood into the UK.
(I have no issues with using fallen trees for timber. Can't remember when the really big storms occurred here (a decade or so ago I think) - Forests have not yet recovered in much of France, the Landes being just one example).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hello EH,

If there aren't systems in place, then there should be! Though maybe not quite as robust as Australia's; my mum ticked 'no' to everything on the Import card at 4am and was then surprised when an irate customs officer grilled her about the wooden Aboriginal mask and 3lb of dried marrowfat peas she had in her case!

Storms of that ferocity are rare here too I'm glad to say, but I still used the insurance money to demolish the parts of the barn that the storm left in tact; they paid me to replace the roof but its just too stressful every time the wind picks up! My other barns are more robust, so they're doing all the work now, including housing the 50+ stère of oak form the fallen trees! Every cloud....

Gypsy x

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I agree with Gypsycob-do not take the wood back because you do not know what could be lurking in it-the larvae will spend several years eating the wood before emerging and there could be fungal disease present.In addition you do not know whether the wood you get will be any better than in the UK an finally loading and unloading wood is not an easy job-and will it verload your van?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts