Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

e are hoping to move to SA in Durban within the year. I have 2 dogs, a lab and boxer 2 and 3.
Has anyone any experience of shipping their dog? If so how much did it cost? how easy was it?
And, have your dogs settled ok ?

Thanks so much

Christine

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hello

e are hoping to move to SA in Durban within the year. I have 2 dogs, a lab and boxer 2 and 3.
Has anyone any experience of shipping their dog? If so how much did it cost? how easy was it?

Thanks so much

Christine
Hello Christine,

Is it worth it? I guess that answer depends on the personality of the pooches and how well you like them:D. Although, I was very suprised at the fear factor my dogs bring to the "right" people! I never have to worry while walking or driving with my pets. Often street people will jump away in fear as the dogs are wagging their tails... no problem with me. And I do feel an extra sence of security from them, although not fool proof.. unfortunately if someone really want's to break in to my home- they will likely poision my pets... just a reality here. But, that being said, I would not have left them at home. I did use a pet mover, I'd recommend this option if you can. But defo not cheap! SA requires a battery of blood tests and certification to allow my pets in- not easy. Doggies did adjust well, suffered jet lag (just like me) and shortly sorted out the seasonal differences and nolonger shed in the winter.:p Yes, it was costly, however being they are well trained members of the family, worth every cent. :D

However, I recenlty learned that a snake is an even bigger deterrent to break-in's than a dog.... how are you with reptiles?

:) ROKZY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello

Hi, we moved back to South Africa in December 2009 after living in the UK for 11 years. We brought our 4 year old Labrador/Rotweiler/Alsation and a few other breeds cross Bailey back with us.

The process is fairly simple. After lots of research we used a Company called Lady Haye -01342 832161. They arranged for the collection of Bailey from Northampton and delivery to Durban Airport including all the Paperwork and liasing with your Vet. The whole process cost around £2200 pounds including all vets costs.

We had to take Bailey for 2 tests one around 3 months before transit and the final one 7 days before transit.

The trip was fairly stressful for Bailey but once he was running on the beach and swimming in the pool he was back to his normal self. We definitly think bringing him here was a good idea - he is adjusting to the weather slowly and loves being outside and running around the garden.

If you have any further queries please contact me.

Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Greg - just saw that you also took back a dog - we will need to do the same.

How have the children settled? Did you place the children in private schools or public? I will have a load of questions if you don't mind?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our Dogs

Hi

We bought one dog and two cats to SA in 2007. The cost was approx £2200. It was all very easy. Company delt with everything, and apart from making sure they all had the necessary jabs before hand. No problem. All of them settled down really well.

Val

Hello

Thanks so much

Christine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

Thanks so much

Christine
Hi Christine, We bought one dog and two cats from the Uk to SA in Sept 2007. Airpets transported our animals. It was really easy, and they settled well. At that time the cost was around £2500 door to door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts