Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Im Luke 25 year old male from UK.
Currently working in Frankfurt Germany and have been for just over a year or so, now another company in Paris has asked me to have an interview for them, they offered me 45000€ a year, I have a girlfriend not wife and 4 year old son in the UK.
My question is, can someone please tell me how much my monthly wage will be, then I can then calculate the cost of apartments and how much I would have remaining?

Thanks
Luke

·
Administrator
51,637 Posts
Quick rule of thumb for take home pay in France is to expect to have about 23 to 25% of your gross salary withheld to cover social insurances each month. They do not withhold income tax in France - you settle that up after the end of the year (and a full year in arrears).

So, just figure on 75% of your gross salary - and that's the figure you base your rent and other budget items on.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok perfect thanks Bev
So I will earn 3750 and 75% leaves 2812,50€

What kind of tax, would I be paying if i lived on my own? I presume the guys at the minute, save the money each month so it is there at the end of the year?

I will be living in the Paris area, do you have any websites to look for apartments/flat shares?

Thanks
Luke

·
Administrator
51,637 Posts
Actually, most folks don't bother saving up for the taxes. The timing on the whole tax drill kind of plays to your advantage. You work year one (say, 2013) - then you file your tax declaration in May of year 2 (2014).

You get your tax assessment in August or September of 2014 and at that point you make quarterly or monthly payments (if you don't just pay the whole thing off) over the next 6 or 8 months. Then, you start making monthly or quarterly payments toward the next year's taxes (2014) based on what your bill was for 2013 until you get your assessment for 2014 (in September of 2015) when you adjust your monthly payments for the actual tax due.

It's a strange system, but it does give you that first year as a sort of breathing period to settle in and pay all those setting up costs.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh ok, I see the logic I think :S

Do you think it may be a good idea to buy property at such a young age or rent? (what i am thinking is, the first year I will have 2800 in my pocket/bank and will probably only spend 1200€ so I would have a lot to save)

And one more question

If I earned 45000€ and lived alone, what roughly would be my tax amount for the year?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...
I can see on Wikipedia for France Tax...

Half way down they start talking about Taxes,

1 Unit (=1 Adult household)
From €26,030 to €69,783
Tax Percentage 30%

3 Units (=2 Adults + 1 child household)
From €29,300 to €65,075
Tax Percentage 14%

So if I lived in Paris on my own, then I would be expected to pay 30% tax aswell as my social contributions of around 25% totalling 55% so I would be left with 45% of my original wage :(

But if my girlfriend and son came to France to live with me, then I would pay 25% for the social contributions and then 14% for the tax totalling 39% leaving me with 51% of my wage, obviously i understand that I do not pay the tax at the time but either way 30% is a lot just for tax.

Also how would they know if I had my girlfriend and son living here in France with me or not?

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
They would know 'cos you have to declare the entire household - & any other worldwide - income on your tax declaration. If you want to benefit from them being with you, it'd also be worth getting your gf on your lease, bills, etc.

(I'm assuming your gf is an EU National so there's no visa or nonsense to deal with.)

It's not quite that straightforward, 'cos you'll have to sort out health cover and all sorts of other boring stuff, but you haven't asked about that ... yet.

h

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Hills,

Thanks for the answer.
If I earn 3750€ a month before any kind of deductions, what amount will I be looking at if:

If lived in Paris by myself?
If my family moved to Paris with me?

Just trying to find out as much as I can, and of course I think a native French person would be best.
Thanks
Luke

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Hi Hills,

Thanks for the answer.
If I earn 3750€ a month before any kind of deductions, what amount will I be looking at if:

If lived in Paris by myself?
If my family moved to Paris with me?

Just trying to find out as much as I can, and of course I think a native French person would be best.
Thanks
Luke
I don't understand what you mean by "a native French person would be best" - other than professionals, the average French native probably has less clue than we do about these things, and certainly won't understand the implications of your not being automatically within the French system.

Nobody can really give you answer on what you're asking - and that's why salaries are quoted gross and/or net of "cotisations" (to all intents and purposes the equivalent of NI except it covers much more than UK NI): there are too many factors involved in calculating your tax and any other liabilities - many of which you probably don't want to declare in a public forum: -

eg. gf working; any other income from anywhere for any of you; do you have a legal obligation to pay maintenance for your son (ie a court mandate), etc.; what provision have you for health cover for all of you; what schooling/kiddy-care plan do you have in mind, etc etc etc

You're basically asking us how many peanuts in a large glass jar ... we just can't answer - we can only point you in direction of various algorithms which might enable you to work out some kind of ballpark figure. - and you've already been given that info.

h

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Hills,

Sorry hope, that didnt sound like an ungrateful answer, I actually thought you were a French native so thats why I asked you more questions LOL sorry...

In Germany, I can type in google, german tax calculator 2013 and input my salary and it gives the correct output or thereabouts.
I wanted to know if i base my salary just on a single 25 year old guy coming to live in France, I currently have health insurance in German but i think I would need to use the French scheme.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Nope, not a French native - just an expat veteran :D

From memory, I think impots.gouv.fr has a simulator. I've never used it (below the tax threshold, me!), and I suspect it might be quite difficult to navigate, but have a wee surf around there when you have plenty of time to kill ;)

Also check out caf.fr & their simulators.

Thinking a bit more about this, it might be worth declaring your son as your dependant, and get assistance (once you've paid in sufficiently) via the CAF, and for your gf to be the "independent" unless she's pulling in an income of some kind, in which case the whole picture changes again ....

told ya - too many variables ....

But, FWIW, the proposed salary sounds reasonably comfortable, and tax liabilities are what they are - just grit your teeth!

h

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
oh - just one other word of advice - don't try to outwit the French authorities by playing silly games or evading truths - they've seen every variation on every theme already - they WILL catch up, and penalise you heftily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL yes exactly what I was thinking Hills :D
It doesnt matter to me about the tax, we all have to pay it, well all over us above the threshold ;)

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
btw - what are you doing in Ffm? I was there for a year or so - at Hoechst - many moons ago.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
no, sorry - still living in the Dark Ages here ;) & net connection is iffy at best, so skype is just a nightmare of hearing 1 word in 5 & having to fill in the blanks.

Had a pal contract-worked for DB in London - comms stuff - also eons ago :D - pre y2k.

You'll find Paris v different to Ffm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In a good way or bad?
Im earning 32000€ here in Frankfurt, do you think I will be able to live on 45000€ in Paris or outskirts?

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Both good and bad - different.

To be honest, I live a frugal life, so I would be able to. At your age (sorry if that sounds patronising), it's an extremely healthy salary for France, but that doesn't mean extravagant - most under-30s are barely making SMIC, if even - certainly in the boonies.

Paris is almost certainly more expensive than Frankfurt, but by how much, I don't know - I'm completely out of touch.

As a benchmark, google some Immobiliers to get a feel for rents; tot up your average weekly shop and then check out prices at, say, Carrefour on-line. From the EDF/GDF sites, you'll get the per-unit tarif - compare those to what you pay in Eschborn ... Have a look at the transport hub sites to get a feel for public transport costs ... etc.

·
Administrator
51,637 Posts
Just to add a note about the notion of bringing the girlfriend and child to France (or not) - if you're not married or PACS'd you can't file jointly with the girlfriend, though you may well be entitled to claim a deduction for support money you send back for the child. (Though there are limits on that.)

As to the own vs. rent question, it can be a problem when you're new in town since they normally only count French pay slips when evaluating your credit worthiness for either a lease or a mortgage.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi
There is a tax calculator here -http://www.leparticulier.fr/jcms/c_35794/simulateur-de-calcul-d-impot-sur-le-revenu

If you go in via google chrome it will translate it for you.

Tank

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.