Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey cyberfx1024

I lived there about 5 years ago in Tagum city.I really like the city there. It is small enough to walk all around most parts and modern enough to have about everything. It was safe when I was there. I was just wondering if anything going on there now? I want to move back to the city there. I know they have completed the Tagum Gaisano mall with a movie theater there now. Don't have to go to Davao to see a movie.

art

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah Tagum City is a real up and coming city, they are building subdivisions in the city that are pretty nice. My asawa and I plan on buying a house in one of them. The Gaisano mall is really nice as well.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey cyberfx

When I was there in Tagum they were still building the new mall. they had opened the grocery in the bottom floor and that was about it. They also were just beginning to build the Camella homes subdivision. I looked at the different models then. I guess by now they have developed the subdivision now. that was about 5 years ago.

art

·
Registered
439 Posts
hey cyberfx

When I was there in Tagum they were still building the new mall. they had opened the grocery in the bottom floor and that was about it. They also were just beginning to build the Camella homes subdivision. I looked at the different models then. I guess by now they have developed the subdivision now. that was about 5 years ago.

art
I am not a fan of Camella Homes and would not live in their sub divisions. The homes are very small, rooms inadequate and everyone living in each other's pocket. Having said that, we are in a townhouse in La Union, but it is very spacious, more than adequate size bedrooms etc. But alas, no garden, so eventually, we will look for a bungalow with a garden.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey mogo51

I agree the rooms in most of the models are small. The Marla model in Tagum city Camella subdivision isn't to bad. That is the 4 bedroom model with 2 baths and maid's quarters. I think they build them smaller to keep cost down and make it affordable to filipinos. The Marla model cost about $60,000. They do make them appealing to the eye. I saw 4 of the models when they started to build the subdivision in Tagum city. I don't think I will ever own a property there in the Philippines. I don't want to get tied down to an area and then the place gets terrible. If I rent I can always move to another location.

art

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yes agree Mogo51, the houses are very small. How they can squeeze 4 bedrooms and 2 baths plus living and dining into 80sq.m is a mystery, but I have seen it with my own eyes. Yes they are built as starter homes for Filipino families so have lots of bedrooms. Apart from small rooms, the build quality is pretty poor. Very thin walls, narrow staircase in the case of the 2 floor units, small windows with poor quality fittings, etc. I don't think they would last very long.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey hogrider

I have been in several models of the Camella homes and yes they are small. They do a good job of designing them for the space they have there. That same house in my country would be about $150,000 and not $60,000. So there is a biog difference in price. Can't expect to much for $60,000.

art

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
hogrider

Acutally, the 4 bedroom home is about the same size as the small Foridian home that was built back in the 60's here in Florida, usa. I am a building contractor and I have done a lot of work on the small home here. They are a single story and have about 900 sq ft to them. real small rooms but they sell for over $125,000 now. also, there is no style to them either. They were nothing but a box built here. At least the Camella homes do have some style and they are appealing to the eye.

art

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey mogo51

I agree the rooms in most of the models are small. The Marla model in Tagum city Camella subdivision isn't to bad. That is the 4 bedroom model with 2 baths and maid's quarters. I think they build them smaller to keep cost down and make it affordable to filipinos. The Marla model cost about $60,000. They do make them appealing to the eye. I saw 4 of the models when they started to build the subdivision in Tagum city. I don't think I will ever own a property there in the Philippines. I don't want to get tied down to an area and then the place gets terrible. If I rent I can always move to another location.

art
I understand your point and agree basically. We did just buy here in Nth Luzon, simply because it was a genuine bargain and when I did my sums, rental v buying was more sensible. Add that 6 6 of 7 townhouses are owned by expats and it is a nice quiet community. Many have lived here over 10 years and the area is quiet and safe.
Usual roosters and dogs but no matter where you go, they are a 'given'.
I would like a bungalow with some garden a bit later down the track and so would wife, but for the moment we are very happy with the new house, but we are full time residents here now, as I was in Thailand.

·
Registered
620 Posts
hogrider

Acutally, the 4 bedroom home is about the same size as the small Foridian home that was built back in the 60's here in Florida, usa. I am a building contractor and I have done a lot of work on the small home here. They are a single story and have about 900 sq ft to them. real small rooms but they sell for over $125,000 now. also, there is no style to them either. They were nothing but a box built here. At least the Camella homes do have some style and they are appealing to the eye.

art
The models we looked at were on a subdivision called "Celerina" in Davao. They were single storey 80 sqm so yes about 900 soft, and the price depending on the model, was Php4.5m for the 4br unit. I built my own house, 2 story 155 sqm on a golf course for Php4.6m plus Php1m for a 220 sqm lot. The difference in build quality is vast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah Tagum City is a real up and coming city, they are building subdivisions in the city that are pretty nice. My asawa and I plan on buying a house in one of them. The Gaisano mall is really nice as well.
it's right, this city is one of the most beautiful cities i used to travel.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Horses for courses really, While I have never been to Tagum or even Mindanao for that matter it is all relative to personal wishes for space/garden or no, budget, distance from the outlaws as suits your predicament etc. I am sure Tagum is beautiful as are most places in PH. and most of us chose an area to live because of loved ones,,,, not all though. Personal comfort and needs is generally high on the list as we the expat are forking out the dollars and hopefully have the last say.
As Dave (hogrider) said he built and got a much better deal building what he wanted where he wanted no different to Bengie and I purchasing a 2,500 M2 lot with a 140 M2 house absolute beach front in an area we love 6 to 10 times cheaper than Oz depending on the locale. Buy or rent, the answer comes with as we say "boots on the ground". Sample, love or hate then decide, input from all members is only based their experience and given 5 years away from the locality the OP could perhaps put a toe in the water again as well as seeking opinions.

Our thoughts and needs changed over the 3 plus years we looked at property and location within our desired area, everything changes as it did with us.
Good luck with your search.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
it's right, this city is one of the most beautiful cities i used to travel.
Welcome to the forum Anne, hope to see more contributions in the future, as said in my previous post I have never visited Tagum but is in my bucket list and once we move,,,,, finally we will get to the southern Island and explore.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can say Tagum City is fairly nice for a small town. They do have a lot of malls there. the new Gaisano mall is real nice. They now have completed the movie theater on top level. I lived in Tagum for 9 months about 4 years ago. I enjoyed being there. I am returning there to live again. the only real problem they have is the sewer system. It is an open drainage ditch that doesn't drain so well. A lot of smell comes from it. I like not having so much traffic also. there is no cabs or buses that run through the city. Either ride a tricycle, walk or own your own car. I am actually going to buy my own tricycle.

Art

·
Registered
50 Posts
The models we looked at were on a subdivision called "Celerina" in Davao. They were single storey 80 sqm so yes about 900 soft, and the price depending on the model, was Php4.5m for the 4br unit. I built my own house, 2 story 155 sqm on a golf course for Php4.6m plus Php1m for a 220 sqm lot. The difference in build quality is vast.
We pretty much had to do that this year with my MIL's house. It got damaged during Typhoon Bopha back in 2012 and we finally had the money together to get it fixed, what was supposed to be a $10k job ended up being almost $20k but it is up to American standards and I made sure of that. All because they are talking about expanding the road from New Bataan to Maragusan.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can say Tagum City is fairly nice for a small town. They do have a lot of malls there. the new Gaisano mall is real nice. They now have completed the movie theater on top level. I lived in Tagum for 9 months about 4 years ago. I enjoyed being there. I am returning there to live again. the only real problem they have is the sewer system. It is an open drainage ditch that doesn't drain so well. A lot of smell comes from it. I like not having so much traffic also. there is no cabs or buses that run through the city. Either ride a tricycle, walk or own your own car. I am actually going to buy my own tricycle.

Art

I was in the movie theater last year watching a movie then a brown out happened, so we then had to wait for the generators to kick on to finish the movie. We have several family that lives in Tagum and so we are planning on moving there in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey cyberfix

Losing electric is a norm there in Tagum. Another problem is losing water pressure everyday. It will normally start about 8:30 am and may last into after noon time. By 10 am there will be no water coming out. I learned to take early shower or late in evening. That is what gets me. They don't have the capacity to supply water to the city now but yet they keep building more subdivisions there. That just adds to the water problem.

art

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey cyberfx1024

I lived there about 5 years ago in Tagum city.I really like the city there. It is small enough to walk all around most parts and modern enough to have about everything. It was safe when I was there. I was just wondering if anything going on there now? I want to move back to the city there. I know they have completed the Tagum Gaisano mall with a movie theater there now. Don't have to go to Davao to see a movie.

art
I love this area's atmosphere :pray2::pray2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts