Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
50,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having system problems using the forum for the last week or more, and am currently working with the techie staff to try to resolve it. It's mainly related to the system hanging when I go to change pages, or to send a response or to do just about anything related to moderating. Ultimately, I wind up with a "This site cannot be reached" and/or a time out error.

Having eliminated most of the possibilities related to my own system, I'm working with the idea that somehow this involves the connection between France and Canada (where the forum servers are located) or some problem with the forum services in "accepting" incoming messages and requests from France (or maybe from certain IP addresses).

Is anyone having similar problems in getting in from France? My problems are only with this forum - all my other connections work just fine on my system and with multiple browsers. If you are having problems, please let me know and we'll see if we can nail this down with the tech people.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Bev, no problems here with windows 8 and android...not tapathingy.

I do see some problems however....I don't always get 10+ likes for each of my insightful posts......and just sometimes I think that not everybody laughs at my jokes. There's a problem somewhere?

DejW

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes Bev. In France, I can't access site from home mac or pc, safari or Firefox. Getting timed out message, can't connect to server. Everything else working normally. I can access site via mobile, as I'm doing now. Hope there's a quick fix!

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,306 Posts
...Is anyone having similar problems in getting in from France? My problems are only with this forum - all my other connections work just fine on my system and with multiple browsers. If you are having problems, please let me know and we'll see if we can nail this down with the tech people.
Cheers,
Bev
Bev

I almost always visit the Forum URL using my iPad / Safari. I've not had any problems logging in, moving from post to post, reading, or responding to posts.

OTOH, I haven't tried using my laptop. I will give that a shot later today.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I've been having system problems using the forum for the last week or more, and am currently working with the techie staff to try to resolve it. It's mainly related to the system hanging when I go to change pages, or to send a response or to do just about anything related to moderating. Ultimately, I wind up with a "This site cannot be reached" and/or a time out error.

Having eliminated most of the possibilities related to my own system, I'm working with the idea that somehow this involves the connection between France and Canada (where the forum servers are located) or some problem with the forum services in "accepting" incoming messages and requests from France (or maybe from certain IP addresses).

Is anyone having similar problems in getting in from France? My problems are only with this forum - all my other connections work just fine on my system and with multiple browsers. If you are having problems, please let me know and we'll see if we can nail this down with the tech people.
Cheers,
Bev
Yes, have been having more problems than usual, although persistence does seem to pay off. I often have issues, though, but I believe they are usually related to the heavy security I have installed on my laptop. Expat Forum is the only site I use where I experience significant issues, more so in the last week or so, and I only have a French IP address (not into all that switching IP stuff :D ). I did wonder whether Expat Forum was having hacking attack issues.

·
Administrator
50,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hm, very interesting. Keep the reports coming if you are experiencing problems.

Charlot, we also have Free but we also have another provider. My ethernet connection is through the other provider (Nerim), but I can switch my wifi connection (on my netbook) between the two providers. I still seem to have the same time out problems no matter which connection I'm on.

EH, thanks for that report. I suspected you might be having problems because you seemed to be a bit less present on the forum than usual. Are you using a wired connection (i.e. ethernet) or a wi-fi connection when you log in to the forum? Because like you, all my other websites and forums are working just fine. It only seems to be ExpatForum that hangs and gets twitchy.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Windows 8, Chrome, access via Free adsl wifi at home, no problems at all.
Also fine on the same pc in the motorhome, access via Orange mobile mifi.
And at an office I sometimes work from, same pc, access via Orange adsl wifi.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hm, very interesting. Keep the reports coming if you are experiencing problems.

Charlot, we also have Free but we also have another provider. My ethernet connection is through the other provider (Nerim), but I can switch my wifi connection (on my netbook) between the two providers. I still seem to have the same time out problems no matter which connection I'm on.

EH, thanks for that report. I suspected you might be having problems because you seemed to be a bit less present on the forum than usual. Are you using a wired connection (i.e. ethernet) or a wi-fi connection when you log in to the forum? Because like you, all my other websites and forums are working just fine. It only seems to be ExpatForum that hangs and gets twitchy.
Cheers,
Bev
I have fibre optic (subscription) here and am connecting via wifi.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I only ever use 3g or 4g, connectivity with hotspot connectivity for my Android 7.0 phones and tablet, l also use Win10 PC and laptop so no landline of any sort.
The Android app never connects so it gets uninstalled fairly rapidly, but I feel obliged to check occasionally.
Server connection errors are quite frequent but so are phone signal losses. I have sometimes noticed a good connection from the Spanish section when the French has not been successful.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I only ever use 3g or 4g, connectivity with hotspot connectivity for my Android 7.0 phones and tablet, l also use Win10 PC and laptop so no landline of any sort.
The Android app never connects so it gets uninstalled fairly rapidly, but I feel obliged to check occasionally.
Server connection errors are quite frequent but so are phone signal losses. I have sometimes noticed a good connection from the Spanish section when the French has not been successful.
This is a little weird as it seems to me that most of my problems are with the France forum. Doesn't make sense to me. Still having issues today.

Heatwave means I've been spending lots of times indoors in the past few days - too hot to do much so have been endeavouring :)D) to connect frequently.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
...Is anyone having similar problems in getting in from France?...
Bev

Am now on my laptop. I am seeing no problem or lag in responding to your post or editing.

Keep in Mind: It may still be slow for you because you're using the editorial / management functions of the site to respond to posts.

That code might have been revised recently. If so, the user community wouldn't see any problems.

Similarly, if you've not upgraded your Windows software (assuming you use Windows), you might be experiencing a lag from that...though normally you'd see that on all websites.

Best of luck figuring it out.

Ray

·
Administrator
50,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you to all for your reports. I have flagged this thread for the tech support folks on VerticalScope to see what sense they can make of things.

Just for the record, I'm on Linux (Ubuntu, actually) so no Win10 issues. Have already reported my attempts to fix the situation - including "tossing my cookies" (oh, I just love that expression!) a couple of times, and none of that seems to help.

It's also not just the moderation functions - changing pages can result in a "hung" screen that seemingly stops, but then picks up again on its own. There are also a couple other "oddities" going on in the forum that could be related to system changes or "enhancements" we haven't been told about. Ah, the joys of the Internet! How did we ever find anything to do before we had it? <g>
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
...Just for the record, I'm on Linux (Ubuntu, actually) so no Win10 issues...
AHA! Linux / Ubuntu, eh? You must be an anarchist or something <s>.

I am having similar issues to what you describe but with my iPad using Safari on some websites.
  • Some buttons cannot be clicked
  • When I click on the save / submit button, the button visibly depresses and the little icon is displayed to let me know the website is doing something...but it isn't saving or submitting <s>, as I'm returned to the same screen I was on before clicking.
Apples run on a version of Linux, as well.

Perhaps there are Java issues that you and I have not taken into account?

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Bev, no problems here with windows 8 and android...not tapathingy.

I do see some problems however....I don't always get 10+ likes for each of my insightful posts......and just sometimes I think that not everybody laughs at my jokes. There's a problem somewhere?DejW
Not so, DejW !

You know damn well that we're all holding back on the 10+ likes for each of your posts although we feel the earth move while reading.
Why ?
Your balanced personality means so much to us!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I have seen no particular Forum issues and I use the French, Spanish, Italian and other forums. I have seen much slower internet affecting all sites but sometime worse on transatlantic connections (suggests a NSA involvement) in recent times. I use Orange via Wimax + ethernet in the house but I sometimes get problems with the PC being overworked and the activity light is ON continuously - my solution to this is to start Task manager, show all processes, then minimise, leaving it running in the background. It is almost as though there was something running that I am not supposed to see but as soon as I look for it, it stops running - or am I being paranoid?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts