Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm sure there's been posts about this kind of thing in the past, and probably will be again - My wife and I are looking at moving to Sydney.

I'm a Canberra boy, but I've been living in Watford UK for the last 5 years (oh what we do for love!). Now I'm taking my wife and moving back to Aus... thing is, we always agreed not to live in the other's home town (She's from Cambridge, and if we lived there, I'd always be known as "Jo's Fella", rather than a person in my own right, and the same goes ten fold for Canberra!)...

The down side is that I don't know much about the different Sydney suburbs!

We want to be near the coast (shock horror), but are looking at renting somewhere near a trainline at first so we can transit around easier. I'd prefer the northern suburbs, or at least north of Darling Harbour (I know some people who can get me in touch with the Modern Jive studios over there, and I've been away from dancing for far too long!).... but beyond that we've got no idea.

Anyone with any recommendations on suburbs?

I've been trying to look up crime rates and such, but I seem to be chasing my own tail more often than not.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi PK:

Eastern suburbs would be more appropriate (i.e. Bondi, Double Bay). however you can consider Manly if a ferry is OK for public transport.

The train lines do run along the North Shore suburbs as well (i.e. Milsons Point, Artarmon, Chatswood), but that doesn't always put you on the coast.

Hey,

I'm sure there's been posts about this kind of thing in the past, and probably will be again - My wife and I are looking at moving to Sydney.

I'm a Canberra boy, but I've been living in Watford UK for the last 5 years (oh what we do for love!). Now I'm taking my wife and moving back to Aus... thing is, we always agreed not to live in the other's home town (She's from Cambridge, and if we lived there, I'd always be known as "Jo's Fella", rather than a person in my own right, and the same goes ten fold for Canberra!)...

The down side is that I don't know much about the different Sydney suburbs!

We want to be near the coast (shock horror), but are looking at renting somewhere near a trainline at first so we can transit around easier. I'd prefer the northern suburbs, or at least north of Darling Harbour (I know some people who can get me in touch with the Modern Jive studios over there, and I've been away from dancing for far too long!).... but beyond that we've got no idea.

Anyone with any recommendations on suburbs?

I've been trying to look up crime rates and such, but I seem to be chasing my own tail more often than not.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't help with suburb info but I must just say that I have spent many, many happy hours at the Harlequin. We're hoping to go back to the UK next year and I'm going to have to pay a visit. Mind you thinking about it, I'd spend most of my time stuck on the A41 trying to get into Watford :lol:

Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Mind you thinking about it, I'd spend most of my time stuck on the A41 trying to get into Watford :lol:

Dolly
And I thought most people were trying to get out of Watford! :D That was our closest major shopping area when we lived in the UK and not only would we get stuck in traffic but we couldn't always find anywhere to park either. We don't have that problem here and we don't have to pay for parking either! :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just moved to Sydney and I live in the St George area and quite like it. The beach is only a ten minute drive from here. I live along the Illawara Sutherland train line but unfortunately my stop is a local stop meaning that the trains only come every half hour or so outside peak times, something to watch for if applicable to you.

Probably you know this already, but definitely do not move to the western suburbs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you see on the news a crime of stabbing, shooting, robbery in Sydney, it'll be in the western suburbs. You can find this info by keeping an eye on the news and becoming familiar with areas of Sydney. Just today a man was shot-dead at a Christmas party in Fairfield.

Apparently there are some decent spots in the western area (so my western suburbs friends have told me) but hard for a newcomer to work out so it is easier just to avoid it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi PK:

Eastern suburbs would be more appropriate (i.e. Bondi, Double Bay). however you can consider Manly if a ferry is OK for public transport.

The train lines do run along the North Shore suburbs as well (i.e. Milsons Point, Artarmon, Chatswood), but that doesn't always put you on the coast.
Hi Amaslam,

Is Ferry OK for public transport? Are you kidding me? Heading to work on a boat sounds about as idyllic and dreamlike as anything could as we head into another English winter!!

I have vague memories of heading over to Mosman by Ferry and loving every second of it (though that was one of my first times out of Canberra, and I was being a very sheltered city boy!).

Thanks for the list of Suburbs, I'm writing the down as we speak :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't help with suburb info but I must just say that I have spent many, many happy hours at the Harlequin. We're hoping to go back to the UK next year and I'm going to have to pay a visit. Mind you thinking about it, I'd spend most of my time stuck on the A41 trying to get into Watford :lol:

Dolly
Thanks for the warm welcome Dolly. (and a big thanks for your Stickied 'List' thread... fantastically useful stuff there!).

If you've not been in the UK for a while, then there's a few places that blow the Harlequin out of the water. Westfield has opened up in Shepherd's Bush, and it feels like 10times larger than our poor little Watford mall.

Also, the recession has hit the UK hard, and that's really evident in Watford. There are loads of empty shopfronts both in the high street and the Harlequin itself. It's a bit depressing to be honest, we're hoping that Aus has been spared the worst of it.

Next time coming in, try to avoid the A41 if you can! :)

Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mosman on North Shore is great

We just got here and are living in Mosman which is great. My husband has less than 1/2 an hour bus ride to the CBD so he doesn't miss the train or you can take a ferry from Mosman too. Neutral Bay and Cremorne are close and also good. We haven't had to buy a car because grocery, bank, bakery, library are close-by. It's a great place to start but unless you have a lot of money extremely pricey to buy. Rents aren't cheap but doable. Good, safe, fun atmosphere. We lived in Stanmore in the Inner West once but this is much better and no airplane noise. The bus routes here are extensive and I seem to be able to get everywhere I want to go with one bus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts