Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm on MODL Low Risk and am providing docs within the 28-day period. Researching on "where to go" at this point and your input is much appreciated. Kind of leaning towards Sydney though.

I'm single, have lived in big cities all my life and will be all alone in AUS so maximum flexibility of movement there ;-) In terms of priority I'd prefer to blend into a city with:

1. Higher chance of landing a decent-paying IT job.

2. Largest Chinese community (Mandarin and Cantonese). I'm open to making friends with all races but I figure it's much easier to "bootstrap" with folks of similar cultural background and language?

3. Easy access to higher education, i.e. Masters. A BSc alone ain't enough anymore these days :D

4. Outdoor sports is the rage in both cities, right?

5. Nice spring and autumn climates :D

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi,

Well I guess education/sports/wages/climate will be about the same between the two. The only real difference I can see would be cost of living as Sydney is the most expensive place to live in Australia.

No idea about the chinese community so can't help you with that one.

I've just asked my OH as he's worked in Sydney and is working is Melbourne now. He said Sydney may be a tad more vibrant but it's transient. Some people tend to work there and then move on whereas people who work in Melbourne tend to stay longer - it's a more 'livable' city. Now that is his opinion, there will be others I'm sure who will disagree. Like with most things you'll have to read the replies and make up your own mind.

HTH
Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi R & L

why not look at the job portals, you will notice, sydney has most jobs followed by melbourne, brisbane n then perth. Most people prefer sydney as they feel maximum jobs are there, they do not realise, the cost of living is very high, rentals are the highest which means higher initial settling cost and not necessary tht you will land in a job the moment you enter.

I feel higher number of jobs means more people applying for it (as most prefer going to sydney) hence more competition. many prefer going to sydney for this reason also that the pay is the highest in sydney but they dont understand everywhere the cost of living and salary ration is the same. end of the day u save the same amount as you would living in brisbane or other places.

this is my logic, everyone thinks differently.

wish u luck with everything

cheers
anj

Reactions: Dee-Aus

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
We did consider Sydney but preferred the vibe that Melbourne has....more cosmopolitan.

Dolly

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lived and worked in Melbourne whilst travelling and fell in love with it. Thought it was a much more liveable city than Sydney and I would move back to Melbourne tomorrow. My opinion of course but I know people who absolutely loved Sydney.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lived and worked in Melbourne whilst travelling and fell in love with it. Thought it was a much more liveable city than Sydney and I would move back to Melbourne tomorrow. My opinion of course but I know people who absolutely loved Sydney.
Melbourne is a livable city and everyone loves to live there.... for longer times.

But, Sydney too has some advantages.
~ Coastline is longer, Very near, just 3 hour road trip to Brisbane (The honeymoon destination of Australia).
~ Lots of people keep changing jobs (more percentage of people in Sydney switch jobs than compared to Melbourne), this means very good chance of finding a temporary job in same field.
~ So I would say it is easy to find temporary job in Sydney and NSW than anywhere else in Australia (Including Melbourne where there are more long term (contract) jobs and permanent jobs). So, any expat's not having offer when they land, must go to Sydney/NSW and search for jobs there. It is also easy to make trips to Brisbane for job search!

Ideally, expat's should travel to Sydney or NSW, find contract and temporary jobs to earn for an year of Australian experience, find a good permanent job in Melbourne and make it your home! Livability cities like Melbourne are good for family and children.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cosmopolitan sounds very good. What more can one ask for?

I'm kind of surprised that you guys like Melbourne that much ;-)
Thanks to your input, I'll keep an open mind when job hunt begins.

谢谢!THANKS!

·
Registered
14 Posts
what abt weather,
as Sout East Asian ppl, we are not much familiar with cold weather,
(we are use to the temp around 20'c to 35'c)

which city you recommend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
what abt weather,
as Sout East Asian ppl, we are not much familiar with cold weather,
(we are use to the temp around 20'c to 35'c)

which city you recommend.
I was in Melbourne for the whole of their winter and it did get pretty cold when the winds from the South blew up that way but I'm from Britain and didnt find it unbearable, Britain is definately colder, and another good thing about Australia is the winters arent very long until your heading straight back into nicer warmer weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts